POLL: Labor Pricing in Manager SE

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

Labor Is Priced by Customer Type or Labor Type?

1) Utilizing Skill Levels (A,B,C,D) to price work is a HIGH priority for my shop; use resources for THIS rather than other program improvements
No votes
2) The current Labor rates by Customer Type method works fine; use these developer resources to make OTHER program improvements
95%
3) I have a different idea that has or has not been discussed in the past
5%

Total votes: 20
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

POLL: Labor Pricing in Manager SE

Post by timbre4 »

This informal poll is provided to gather shop views on how Estimator labor works inside Manager SE. There is a current discussion about this: http://managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10793
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: POLL: Labor Pricing in Manager SE

Post by fortknoxx »

I read the thread this is referring to. Here is my nickel.

I think the skill level of the technician should meet or exceed the skill level for the job.

eg lof, i am paying 24.95 for an oil change whether a tech with a skill level of an oil changer or the best electronics trouble shooter does it. You have to warranty the job. If the customer has their choice they want the oil changer replacing the clutch because he is only $40 per hour. I think it will open up a can of worms and bring back Monte Halls "let's Make a deal". Labor should be based on the time it takes to do the job, not who does it. if you have a common job, setting up a canned job with preset labor rates that is fine. best to go by the labor guide. My jetta air cleaner takes me 2.5 minutes to replace including opening the box it came in & fastening the clips. My ram takes me 10 minutes (8 of agg) jetta easily accessible in the front of the engine compartment. The Ram is total opposite.

I would like to see other time mitigating factors like ....
1. age of vehicle, stripped or broken bolts, seized screws, corroded electrical
2. rust factor , love the salt belt/ beach buggys
3. someone other than my shop broke it before it got here,
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

I would like to see other time mitigating factors like ....
1. age of vehicle, stripped or broken bolts, seized screws, corroded electrical
2. rust factor , love the salt belt/ beach buggys
3. someone other than my shop broke it before it got here

There is an application I once used prior to developing my own labor levels. It was / is called Real Time. It took into consideration a lot of the mentioned points you made Tina. The only issue it avoided if I recall correctly was rust. In the Northeast we deal with a lot of issues on trucks that are used for sanding / salting and plowing. I add time for those conditions. I stock universal joint retainer kits for many of the trucks so when we get one where the bolt head is a ball of rusted metal. I cut the retainers with a torch, pry the shaft out and then use junk yard sockets to remove the bolts. If the labor flat rate time is .9 I add at least .5 or sometimes an hour. As a rule any vehicle over 10 years old added time is added. If a vehicle is brought to my shop and it's been attacked by a tech from another shop I explain to the owner that repairing the repairs from the other shop can be more expensive than the primary issue. I refuse to work with parts installed by other shops that were installed trying to repair this present issue. The reasoning behind this is a few times prior to doing this I had customers return to my shop with issues that were a direct result of a part that was installed at the other shop and the customer felt it was my issue because the paid me to repair the vehicle. In a warped way I could see their point so I started the policy of removing and boxing up all the parts that were installed prior. Man I just got dizzy writing this..............................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

i voted.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “Polls”