POLL: Your Shop's Website

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

Our shop's website is:

CRUCIAL: Our best marketing tool, updated frequently
8%
VITAL: Seeing more business from it; keeping it current
32%
IMPORTANT: Some business increase, design unchanged
19%
UNSURE: Told to get one; not sure what it's doing for us
25%
HISTORY: Tried it years ago; did nothing, time to try again
8%
NEVER: Still rely on conventional methods (print,radio,TV)
8%

Total votes: 63
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

POLL: Your Shop's Website

Post by timbre4 »

More consumers every day are using internet search tools like Google to find what they're looking for in numerous ways that print media (rhymes with yellow pages) could never deliver. They get maps, directions, reviews, menus, rates, referrals, discounts, coupons, tickets and so much more, they find it's the only way to go.

People also look for automotive service providers this way. Having said that is your shop visible on the internet?

Show us where you are with this marketing proposition for your business.

This is NOT intended as a plug: Know that Mitchell 1 can provide website services if you ask your rep about it or call us.
Last edited by timbre4 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Until recently, over 50% of our business was out of state and country. Our overseas shipments have increased slightly but out of state has declined. We dont receive too many local hits as our site is designed for specialty and HP transmissions.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

We don't even have a web site :(
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

web site

Post by fortknoxx »

we have a simple website, best thing about it is the foto gallery. people can see what a truck looks like after it is lifted. the boss' buddy updated it when he feels like it. it does help us. not to much clicking. but decent pics. www.camperbobs.com
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Getting more and more action from web. we have a website and we piggyback it on other websites such as Jasper and Technet. We also get appointments on line. Have the email fron the website forwarded to the shop's site. It lets us know when a new message has been posted.
steve
importauto

Post by importauto »

Okay, I?m gonna try not to pontificate, but?

As the cuckoo owner of our shop said, just a few short months ago, ?I think this Internet thing is really gonna take off?. (JD can back me up on the ?cuckoo owner? thing) :shock:

Well, the cuckoo owner is right, even if he is a tad late to the party.

Our number two source for new customers, after customer referrals, is cartalk.com, these same people will read our reviews there, and then go to our web site before calling us. After customer referrals, and the Internet, I could add together all our other sources for new customers and they would still pale in comparison.

I made quite a few web sites (along with a friend of mine), in the late 90s (including the original one for this place before I started working here). I told our clients, ?I will not guarantee the web site we build for you will increase your business (it is the client?s responsibility to either drive people to the site or hire someone who can), but I will guarantee a bad web site will lose you business?.

So, IMO, if you don?t have one or haven?t updated your present one in a while, and you want to compete in the future I would seriously consider doing so ASAP.

?Thud? (me being pushed off my soapbox).
f8jon360
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by f8jon360 »

I marked Crucial- although my sites are not updated often. Biggest thing is the fact I have 3 different ones, and they all have different search engine links- the phone rings AT LEAST 5X per day that I know are internet hits, and I probably see 6-10 cars a week from internet advertising.

msn.com search engine "auto repair salt lake city" has me as #1 result right on top-
importauto

Post by importauto »

f8jon360 wrote:I marked Crucial- although my sites are not updated often. Biggest thing is the fact I have 3 different ones, and they all have different search engine links- the phone rings AT LEAST 5X per day that I know are internet hits, and I probably see 6-10 cars a week from internet advertising.

msn.com search engine "auto repair salt lake city" has me as #1 result right on top-
That's great, I think everyone should do a similar search on the three major engines: Google, Yahoo, and MSN.

Currently for "auto repair marlboro" we come up:

Google - #1 on page 1
MSN - #3 on page 1
Yahoo - #5 on page 1

If you aren't on the first page of the major search engines, work in key words to the body of your text on your index page, and the web site title (key words in the title are crucial for Google).

Years ago, the powers that be said searchers would bail if they didn't find what they were looking for by the third page of a specific search, most people I talk to say they bail if they don't find what they are looking for on the first page of the search.
Dollymama

Post by Dollymama »

I don't even know what to say.....our site is no good and we show up on like the 6th page of any search if we are lucky. :oops: I'm trying to encourage a little change on the ol computer front but the owners seem....shy? if that is the right word. I'm hoping for change in the very near future.
apiauto

Post by apiauto »

WE DO NOT HAVE A WEB SITE YET, I HAVE BEEN TALKING T THE OWNER ABOUT IT .I GUESS ITS ABOUT THE SAME AS OUR BUISNESS IE: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. AS A NAPA AUTOCARE CENTER THE HAVE AVAILABLE WEB DEVELOPMENT AND MAINT FOR ABOUT 69.00 A MONTH.SEEMS FAIR TO ME BUT I HAVE NO CLUE. I,M BARELY ABLE TO WRITE IN ALL CAPS! :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ANYWAYS SOME ON THE FORUM HAVE GREAT SITES LIKE RICS . HAVE A GREAT DAY, MIKE.
Rich

Post by Rich »

i would want to be sure for 69.00 your getting something like www.apiauto.com and not have to go to napa.com and then to your site. My photography site costs me 25.00 a month, easy to use. i'd think a basic site would not be hard to set up. i did one for here, i read up on HTML on line and did it, pictures and all, made it 5 or 6 pages. it is NO WHERE near as nice as Rics but he breaths computers and dreams about technology. now i just have to get a domain name and get it going.
Rich Hays
apiauto

Post by apiauto »

rich, i agree the autocare territory rep is supposed to stop next week. it would be a great plus for our buisness, havein 2 buisness,s the auto shop and the restoration shop.we are moving to a larger building in two weeks so i would like to get this expidited but i dont want to jump in going the wrong direction, thanks, mike
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I get very few hits on our site but feel it is at some point going to be crucial to have.
INLANDSMOG

Post by INLANDSMOG »

Tom Ham
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: POLL: Your Shop's Website

Post by Tom Ham »

In many ways the internet has still to lift off the runway...but it will and probably very soon. When it fully launches a web site will be on the same level as having a telephone or accepting credit cards. Our web site is fairly simple, but it includes the stuff people are most often looking for when they visit...we designed it that way to cut down on confusion and allow the customer to find what they want fast.

New customers from the site are not a lot (yet), but they are increasing and tend to be a much higher quality customer. I envision a day not all that far in the future when customer interaction via web site and email will be a significant part of our daily business.

When I am checking out a business of any kind, and they cannot be easily found on the net and/or I cannot find what I need to know on their site, I usually look for another business.
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

I'm definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do know that our website generates a TON of business almost every day! Please, take my advice. If you don't have one, get one. If you have one, make it better. If you have one that's better, keep working on it...always! Keep it up to date with current promotions, photos, etc. Change it often. It's gonna surprise you how many people call and/or visit you because of it. They'll mention it to you too. It's HUGE for us! Check out ours -> http://www.oceanairauto.com
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
Rich

Post by Rich »

Well, we do have a site now. Thank God. We do a surprising amount of people coming in the door and drop a comment about seeing the site. So I know they are seeing it. In all of our radio spots we mention it. I'd say it is paying off well. We are out of town a mile or so, having people look at the site and find the map saves me alot of time on the phone telling people how to get here.
Rich Hays
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I was torn between Important and vital.....I think I'm somewhere inbetween.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by a&mauto »

Not too long ago I was convinced that since all of my work is local, that a website would be a waste of time & money. OK, I was wrong. I can barely use a PC but I built a 5 page website. I took a 1 day class on optimization and now my site is on page #1. In a very short time we went over 4600 hits and we are definitely getting business from it.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
Rich

Post by Rich »

Also don't forget Google has a great analytics program, for free. It will show just about anything you need. Like for me....monday 393 hits. I love hits. hits = $$$$. $$$$=camera gear. well, ok $,$$$.$$ = camera gear :lol:

I think that alot of our hits are because we have a collage kids that needs repairs, they call Mom or Pop. Mom and Pop google us to "check us out" and see the site.
Rich Hays

Return to “Polls”