POLL: Which Promotion Package Options Do You Use?

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

Which Promotion Package Options Do You Use?

Packages ("Vanilla") only
2%
LOF Pkg only
16%
Brakes Pkg only
No votes
Tires Pkg only
11%
LOF, Brakes & Tires Pkgs
11%
Use Them All On Regular Basis
14%
Use Them All Once In A While
11%
Do Not Use Them At All
34%

Total votes: 44
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

POLL: Which Promotion Package Options Do You Use?

Post by timbre4 »

There has been some discussion about Packages under Promotions this past week, this poll will measure the actual usage pattern by shops.

Discount Coupons add too many combinations and not part of this package question; so I've taken them out. The main question here is to resolve how many folks are using the existing package mechanisms to determine their value going forward.

NOTE: The reference to plain "Vanilla" package refers to the entries created on the Packages tab that has been in the program the longest. It is not to be confused with an LOF, Brakes or Tires pkg.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I have been following the discussion on Packages. Being a small shop and doing almost everything myself I haven't had the time to set them up to the fullest extent. I was looking forward to getting more use from them in the near future. I may be in a situation soon where my wife will become the "front person" and I will be able to stay in the shop. At that point I am sure she would use every availble function.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I had been using the LOF and Tires for a long time till I rad on the forum yesterday the LOF packages were not tied into the inventory. I wasn'rt aware of that and it turns out I had been selling oil for less then I shold have and the cost never updated either so my reports were inaccurate. For that reason I have switch to using the qiuck estimates I learned more about in the Perfromance Center.

Paul
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Eaglesoar1
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Eaglesoar1 »

I am not understanding - how is the PROMOTIONS LOF's *NOT* tied into inventory? Mine is tied in and very accurate.
Even by using oil filter # xxx in the package & then moving it over to an order and changing the filter to say a 111 it still keeps my inventory current

Maybe it is in the way they are originally setup?

I think I originally put my oil & filters into regular inventory then created the PROMOTIONS LOF's by using my inventory numbers, it takes them straight from inventory and when I do have price increases, I change oil & filters prices through the inventory screen and it automatically updates in my LOF's pkgs also.
(by having the oil in inventory also, it helps me when the guest just wants a "top off")

When I receive stock, I enter them through the INVENTORY screen. I have never sold filters through canned jobs or through parts - only through PROMOTIONS LOF's.

This has always worked very well for us and at the end of the month my inventory on LOF items is almost dead on ( except for the varience of oil when package price is based on 5qts and I only used 4.5) but the filters are ALWAYS exact.

I am going to go back through my notes from 6 years ago and make sure this is how I did it, then I'll let you know for sure

If I can figure out how to save a screen shot to this message I'll send it along
Rich
Eagle Automotive
http://WWW.EAGLE-AUTOMOTIVE.COM

People say I suffer from OCD - I do not.
I suffer from CDO which is like OCD just in alphabetical order - LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
Pauls Automotive

Thanks That would be greatly apprecaited. I set that up so long ago I forget what I did. Maybe I misunderstood what Tim was saying in his post yesterday about the promotions. I will have to go back and read up on it and look in Answers to see if I find anything.

Paul
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

The specific parts referenced in the LOF screen *could* be tied to inventory IF they are indeed real existing records. If these are fake parts just to represent the (oil & filter) part needs, then nothing is going to happen.

My point is that you generally load it with one filter and oil per slot, cause that's what this LOF Pkg mechanism can support. (or you're deleting parts you don't use every time). If Paul's LOF Pkg parts were not inventory records, that is how the report got skewed.
Last edited by timbre4 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim McDonnell -
Pauls Automotive

Ok thats where the problem is. I had my inventoried oil in each Packaked LOF but a genertic oil filter in every one. The theory being ....after we transfer the Package into the ticket and the tech gives us the oil filter box top ...we enter the correct oil filter # onto the ticket and delete the generic.....however it should be noted that we sometimes forget to do this if things are rushed around here. So thats were the inventory has be going astray. I put the genetic one in there just so in case we forgot to put the filter on the ticket at least we didn't lose out on the money for the part.

Paul
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
Eaglesoar1
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Eaglesoar1 »

OK - I FIGURED OUT HOW I SET IT UP LO, THOSE MANY YEARS AGO!!!

1. I put all my different oil filters and oils into Inventory FIRST
----- Click on INVENTORY then INVENTORY LIST, pick LOF in the catagory part and start adding the filter numbers and oil part numbers

2. Now, I create the LOF packages in PROMOTIONS
-----I go to SETUP & click on LOF PACKAGES then (staying with 5 quart standard lof's for purpose of this post) click on the LOF PKG you want to change and click on EDIT then click on PARTS button and enter the EXACT same part # that you just entered into inventory for your oil, adjust quantity (unit cost & price should already be accurate from your entries in inventory) and click the box in the lower center that says INVENTORY.

3. For the oil filter, I clicked on PARTS button and added part # XXXX // description is OIL FILTER and since we use menu pricing for lofs, and I get 95% all of my filters for the same price ( which most of you should also), I entered my cost and unit price there. DO NOT check the inventory box!

4. I also enter stock labor & description in there of COURTESY CHECK and another line for the labor & description of changing the oil (these were created once then copied for each oil change we offer) (10 different ones)

5. When you transfer the job over to an RO you only have to change the oil filter part# and the job is ready to go
( I timed it - 6.3 seconds from the time I am on the customer screen to grab the mouse, click promotions, click lof's and select the one I want, and go to print the RO)
Print, have guest sign and get it to the shop.

Filters and oils are counted against inventory the whole way. Prices are changed on oils and filters by changing them in Inventory - so they are tied together.

I can see where this would not work for folks who are not using menu pricing lof's and/or are paying varying prices for oil filters but for our operation this is the slickest little feature and we use it to death!

I hope I explained everything clearly - it's late and after 5PM which is the cut off time for my brain! :shock: :?
Rich
Eagle Automotive
http://WWW.EAGLE-AUTOMOTIVE.COM

People say I suffer from OCD - I do not.
I suffer from CDO which is like OCD just in alphabetical order - LIKE IT SHOULD BE!
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

LOF and brakes are the ones we use. I don't see an acturate way to vote. Do i need to do it twice? or what is the best way to give you the "most correct" vote?
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Rich wrote:LOF and brakes are the ones we use. I don't see an acturate way to vote. Do i need to do it twice? or what is the best way to give you the "most correct" vote?
Use the LOF, Brake & Tire option please.
Tim McDonnell -
Rich

Post by Rich »

Done, thanks Tim.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timjlive
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by timjlive »

I voted LOF, Brake & Tire option even thogh we only use the LOF & Tire packages. These are used daily here. I have them set up pretty much like Eaglesoar1
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Let's see... 2400 registered forum members, 300+ regular posters yet only 26 votes? :shock:

Please examine this question and then place your vote so that we can get a better idea for future direction. Thanks
Tim McDonnell -
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

ok, i was slammed all day. lof packages.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

steven kiser wrote:ok, i was slammed all day. lof packages.
Please put the dot next to the choice to cast your vote.
Tim McDonnell -
timjlive

Post by timjlive »

timbre4 wrote:Let's see... 2400 registered forum members, 300+ regular posters yet only 26 votes? :shock:

Please examine this question and then place your vote so that we can get a better idea for future direction. Thanks
You know what this means, Tim? you will have 274+ people whining when something is changed. They'll ask why, and you can say "I asked for your input, but you didn't speak up" Why is it so many people are reactive instead of proactive?
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Something like that. :wink:

I had my assertions about Packages challenged at the beginning of this thread but the results posted so far don't support the opposing view so much.

As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Polls”