POLL: Bouncing Between Orders

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

When I Need To Look At Another Existing Order, I Use the Following Method:

A) I click on the WIP icon, find the other order and then double-click on it or press ENTER while it's highlighted
86%
B) I click on Schedule and choose the other order from today's (Day tab) list by double-clicking on it
14%

Total votes: 59
christi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Bouncing Between Orders

Post by christi »

Hello,
Put my vote in as well. Too bad you cant open multiple windows like you can in word. That would be really cool. One pane could be for estimates & another pane could be for work orders & another pane could be for invoices!! Sweet :D
Have a good day,
Christi
Christi
Gus Coelho Auto Repair
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

woah, wait a minute christi. lets remember i'm barely keepin my head above water here. :lol: let's not make it to cunfusing............ i am getting better though. it's like if someone came in and asked you to adjust the piston diaphram on a venturi carb. :wink: awww just teasing. i haven't smasher a key board in over a year. maybe it has something to do with firing my manager. he would always make changes on the system and i haden't even got use to the way it was. i don't even know how to use spell check. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Christi, I agree 300%. I have dual screens. I HATE switching ro's. I'd love to have one screen with an Ro on it that i am working. Have Mrs. Doe come in and want to pick up her car, flip her invoice up onto the other screen. MANY times I could work on two RO's at once if this was an option. But Tim has already said no dice to this option. Maybe in the future. Maybe we need to figure out how to run two computers with one mouse and keyboard! I could get it to work then!
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Rich wrote:Christi, I agree 300%. I have dual screens. I HATE switching ro's. I'd love to have one screen with an Ro on it that i am working. Have Mrs. Doe come in and want to pick up her car, flip her invoice up onto the other screen. MANY times I could work on two RO's at once if this was an option. But Tim has already said no dice to this option. Maybe in the future. Maybe we need to figure out how to run two computers with one mouse and keyboard! I could get it to work then!
All you need is a switch like this.... http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3113and don't use the DVI portion. You could easily switch between 2 computers using one keyboard and one mouse. For years I had something like this at work to switch between my Mac and my PC using one keyboard. Cool stuff.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Hey Rich,

Ric is right I have a similair device here that I can hook up as many as 4 computer to a single keyboard and mouse. I used it alot for repairing my workstation when they go down so I can sit at my seat and work on them and hit a swtich and be working on an estimate etc. Great tool.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Rich

Post by Rich »

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta think Ric has connects with Bill Gates. that would work awesome. Now off to find another tower to stuff under the desk. 8)
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Rich wrote:SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta think Ric has connects with Bill Gates. that would work awesome. Now off to find another tower to stuff under the desk. 8)
I must use my KVM switch dozens of times a day.

Are you thinking of performing a workstation install on this second PC? That way you'd still be writing diff orders to the same database.

I watch this from the sidelines, wondering if it's really worth the trouble. Is it really so bad to hit Esc, highlight the other order needed and press enter to get it on the screen. Let's hear from the Jimi User Experience. :arrow:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich

Post by Rich »

Right now (well OK a minute ago). I am working on an old rusty plow truck. Looking for gas tank, straps, ujoints, spring mounts, and more. I was right in the middle of...Ok it's not this part, or that part, maybe this one,oops that might be it also. And a customer came in to pick up her car. Now I get out of the plow truck, get into her Ro, ring-er up and out into the snow she goes. Now back to the truck. Which part was it again?

We do have another work station, but as sure as I can't use search, as soon as I go to that work station Chuck will come up and need it. Then since I am on his station he'll come to mine. There are days, normaly when I am here alone, I would keep all four working bays RO's open.
Rich Hays
christi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by christi »

Hello,
Thanks for the options. Just think, if this posting wasnt posted, none of us would have found out about all this cool stuff!! Is it worth it? i guess thats an individual decision based on preference, how busy you are, etc.
Have a good day,
Christi
Christi
Gus Coelho Auto Repair
timjlive
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by timjlive »

timbre4 wrote: Is it really so bad to hit Esc, highlight the other order needed and press enter to get it on the screen.
It can be when building an estimate or order with parts links and then you have to close link, switch RO, deal with customer drop off/pick up, etc., now back to the estimate, re open parts link yada,yada,yada...I think a tabbed view, multiple windows of RO 's would be way 8)

When yor are the only one doing everything these little time savers are worth it.
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks for the continued input, multiple order sessions have come up before and now you're providing the context to help us understand the nature of the request.

About The Poll

The primary reason for this poll is to determine actual usage of the Schedule to pivot between orders, which as I thought was very, very low. That's because it wasn't viewed by the original programmers as the way the software would be used, nor did it ever occur to more than a handful of users.

UPSIDE

Golly, it's a different way to bounce around between orders and the Day tab acts as a filter (if that's what you want)

DOWNSIDE

The only downside to the Schedule method is if you're using the Source field; there is a bug where selecting a different order from Schedule (instead of WIP) that the Source field doesn't refresh or update itself.

Back Story

I was shown this 'defect' several months ago and asked about a fix for this problem. When reviewing bug fixes and prioritizing where the time and effort goes, the consensus was to waive it, because it just doesn't show up on the radar nowhere near as much as other more pressing issues.

Conclusion

If you do not use the Source field, there is no reason for concern. If you do use the Source field, know that Mgr SE 6.x does refresh it each time a user bounces between orders. :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
Rich

Post by Rich »

You rock Tim. Thanks for helpin us out. Isn't it time for you to change your Avatar to you and the guitar?
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

January maybe. Taught myself to remove background for that ornament to fit!
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That source field update issue also occurs if you jump from one order to another using the File> pulldown and selecting a recent order. That issue was posted on this forum in 2005.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

we have a switch on our counter pc to switch between the server and counter. we have multi user, this is great for when you are making an estimate or inv changes, and like rich said someone wants to pu their car. i dd the scroll lock and voila !!!!
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

I get up from my desk, which has my laptop, and walk the four steps to the counter, that way I get more exercise than just a mouse click. :wink:
John C.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I get enough exercise running in circles. :evil:
Rich Hays
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Rich wrote:I get enough exercise running in circles. :evil:
Amen to that. I bet I walk 5 miles a day in the shop and don't travel any farther then 50 feet. :shock:
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU

Return to “Polls”