POLL: Mandatory Safety Glasses?

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

Are Safety Glasses Mandatory For Technicians?

YES - Techs must wear them no matter what they're working on
18%
NO - Techs make that decision themselves
82%

Total votes: 49
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: POLL: Mandatory Safety Glasses?

Post by steven kiser »

great point about using a monetary award. a slightly different twist is take a deck of cards and at the end of the day give each employee that adheres to safety protocol a playing card. at the end of the day on friday the employee with the best poker hand wins whatever. to add incentive you can tally the weekly winning hands per employee every 4 mos and the one with he most wins something extra. what i've done is had levels of rewards so all get something. one gets to use my condo for a ski weekend, another dinner and a movie, another a dinner, another a movie, another a cup of coffee :lol:. to keep all somewhat content if we go 6 mos without an injury i'll have a bbq lunch or something along those lines. if a tech is excused for the day or is absent for an acceptable reason a card will be added to their hand. if they've used all their personal days and takes another no card is issued. if at the end of the year i'll compensate monetarily for unused days.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

OK folks just had to bring this one back up. Last Thus we were working on a job, needed to cut off a bracket. Grabbed the die grinder, put on a 3" disc and hooked up the air. Looked at the safety glasses and thought "I dont need em, will only take a sec." Well Sunday I spent the afternoon in ER gettin the crap pulled outta my eye. Nurse said if I waited another 24 hours I may have lost my eye. This morning I got my saftey glasses on and they will be mandantory from here on! If ya aint wearin them ya get em on or go home!!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Everyone here but myself wears seeing glasses that are safety approved. (i have contacts). I never wear them out back. However, I also stay away from any of that type of activity.

I do have a nice pair on my dash. I wear them to every medical/fire call we get. Guys use to laugh at me, but then a girl had "an exposure" while doing CPR. They wear them now.

I do need to get in the habit of wearing them here. It only takes a second and life is changed forever.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i think we all agree about safety. unfortunately i feel many of us learn the hard way. i read all the safety precautions on all chemicals, tools, etc, but rarely follow through with them. since i'm weaning myself from the productivity side of the shop and am becoming more of an office person :x i really do not like it, i'm finding that i'm becoming the accident Al of the shop. a good example of blatant stupidity on my part is (those that fish will understand), i use red razor hooks, they're so sharp you can scribe steel with them. any time i tie a hook on a line i wrap the line around my finger a few times so it won't slip if the rod falls or some boob appears on the scene. the only times the rod falls or is knocked over is when i'm in a hurry and don't wrap it around my wrist or finger. a bass hook embedded in your finger or hand is a good safety reminder. btw if it does happen, cut the line right away because some idiot that's coming to help will kick the rod, snag the line or just tug it. it's kind of a good thing or a message from above that this post was reopened. i was using a plasma cutter, torch, and grinder refitting a trailer and it's become a clutter magnet. i think i'm going to go over and arrange things in a safer manner. for some reason yesterday when i was burning away i decided to stop and look around. someone had left a 5 gallon pail 1/2 full of contaminated fuel and rags about 10' away from where i was working. that idiot was me. thanks again for reopening my eyes. maybe i'll put work shoes on instead of loose loafers. :shock:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

We all need reminders from time to time of these safety issues. Unfortunately sometimes it comes at someone elses expense. But yes, thanks for the reminder.
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

steven kiser wrote:since i'm weaning myself from the productivity side of the shop and am becoming more of an office person :x i really do not like it,
It sucks, doesn't it?
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

big time. it seems that once you're out of the loop it's not long before you're left in the dark.
Cathy Kulp

Post by Cathy Kulp »

I would like to say yes, hoever I would be lieing. I do supply them and my techs do wear them when they feel the need. However I do have techs that are very careful about safety.

Return to “Polls”