POLL: Shop Contact Info for DIY Customers?

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

Your Shop Contact Information Available by Zip Code to our Do-It-Yourself Customers?

1) Yes
22%
2) No
61%
3) Unsure
17%

Total votes: 23
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

POLL: Shop Contact Info for DIY Customers?

Post by timbre4 »

I've been asked to seek your opinion on the following question.

"We would like to find out if you would be in favor of having your shop contact information available by zip code to our Do-It-Yourself customers. This listing would be useful in the event that the repair the customer is attempting is too much for them and they can readily find a local shop that can do the repair.

The customer would be able search for repair shops through our DIY website and potentially through an IPhone application in the future."

Please vote and post any related comments. (keep it sweet please)
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Shop Contact Info for DIY Customers?

Post by fortknoxx »

I'm not in favor of giving out free repair information to DIYers, unless they bought the parts from me. I am also a retail store. I don't have a problem telling a CUSTOMER (meaning someone who has paid me for products or service) how to or giving a CUSTOMER a quick tip.

I am more of a specialty shop/retailer. I get insulted when an internet shopper bought a hoosiehotter of the net, because he found it $7 cheaper than me. Yes, I remember most of the things I quote out and sell. My boss pays me to make him money. I don't make any money on a non-customer DIYer. I work the counter. So when he comes in with a part I quoted out but did not sell him, I smile and tell him to call the place he bought it from. their response is usually they won't answer the phone/email. I then say Have a nice day.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

If Mitchell wanted to do this, I'm sure some shops might sign up. I would probably opt-out. These people don't really fit my customer profile, and they usually don't want to pay me what I am worth to do the job right. Plus they have tried all sorts of things already which generally complicates matters.

On the other hand, I occasionally get lucky with these. I just fixed an 05 K2500 intermittent starting problem who's electrical engineer owner and a dozen shops (including the dealer) have been working on this problem for over 3 years. Done in 2 hours without a symptom. (got lucky I guess :roll: )
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I already get several calls a week from the DIY crowd. Generaly when I tell them they will have to pay for me to fix their mess they hang up :evil: . I have been called several select names because I wouldnt give them a frebbie over the phone. :twisted:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Voted
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: POLL: Shop Contact Info for DIY Customers?

Post by asample »

I've gotton 2 calls in the last 2 days from a DIYer to use my special socket to remove crankshaft center bolt on their Honda, then snug it back up so they can drive it home and continue with their quest of finding an oil leak. I told them I would not be comfortable in doing that.

Generally by the time they decide to have a shop "finish" the repair they have rounded off bolts or broken something and want to supply their own parts.

I voted no.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I'm with everyone else. A resounding "NO" from me. reasons are listed above.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'd be willing to be added to a call list, but it would have to be a bit specific on what the caller was to expect. if the person expected to be led through a repair procedure step by step then don't waste my time because either i'll hang up or bring you to a dead end. on the other hand if a person calls up and explains that they usually do their own work but can't handle what they're facing now and wants a price then that's ok. as far as i can see it's just another estimate with an educated person. i'll not lend out tools or give repair information (with a few exceptions, such as shop owners that i'm friendly with or forum members). i really see no big issue here with the exception of a few more phone calls.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

Guess I'm the only one that said yes! The main reason was for another possible customer and no extra expense. They are getting harder to come by. I relish the opportunity to help someone get their transmission tore down.....
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

Nyet!
John C.
VCAC239
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by VCAC239 »

Well I voted yes aswell, only for the standpoint of having the shop more visible on a web search. I know that most anyone who would call is a bottom feeder but I can deal with these types. My management system is setup with several labor prices to deal with this situation. Hourly rate, Customer supplied parts rate, cutomer tried to fix it first rate, customer wants to help look over my shoulder rate....which no one could ever afford HA HA HA!!!!!!

Jeremy
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I have shared this feedback with the inquiring parties. Thanks to all who voted and commented.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
crmeyers

Post by crmeyers »

Any technician will tell you that he (or she) is not very enthusiastic about going behind someone that has already disassembled, probed at, improperly wired, and hacked at a vehicle. And most shop owners know that this clientele usually does not see the true value in what we do, and will not be willing to pay what it's worth. I normally price high for these customers, and if I get the job, then it's rewarding. So I'm really not interested in pulling this type of customer into my shop. They do it by themselves already!
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Alright. I just had an experience with a DIY guy that I'll share....

A guy comes in around 4pm yesterday looking for an inspection. Never been here before. Sure! Write him up and on my way to the car he stops me and says he's got something to show me and wants to know if it'll pass. He brings me to the RR wheel and points to the brake rotor. I can see the rotor looks new but it is rusting except for a very small strip of pad contact. He tells me he just did brakes himself and that he needs this and that, etc.... I tell him that this condition will surely hold up his sticker, but lets take a look and see whats going on. When I get the wheels off, the story unfolds. He has done 4 rear brake jobs in the last 3 years on this car, all using (insert name of big box auto store here) parts. Closer inspection reveals the pad hardware upside down. Brake pads are on backwards and seized in the brackets. He then says that he has to *hammer* the pads in place. (Well there's your problem) I figure we can get him going with the correct hardware. It's late but we can squeeze it in. Hot shot a set of hardware down in 7 minutes. Hardware fits the brackets now but the pads don't fit the hardware. Now we need a set of pads and it's almost 5pm. We put him in a loaner car and send him off for the night. Next day I put in the pads and all is well.

That was a lot of work for an inspection sticker. It's also a lot of work for a brake job. I wonder what he spent in the last 3 years on parts and how much of his time he used. So I made some money on this job. I gained a customer (at least for stuff he can't/wont do or stuff he screwed up). Question I have now is, 'Is it worth it?' I'm not sure. Once in a while is ok. A steady stream of this might get frustrating. I'm still on the fence. :?:
603-622-6434 x203

John C.

Post by John C. »

ricmorin wrote:Alright. I just had an experience with a DIY guy that I'll share....

A guy comes in around 4pm yesterday looking for an inspection. Never been here before. Sure! Write him up and on my way to the car he stops me and says he's got something to show me and wants to know if it'll pass. He brings me to the RR wheel and points to the brake rotor. I can see the rotor looks new but it is rusting except for a very small strip of pad contact. He tells me he just did brakes himself and that he needs this and that, etc.... I tell him that this condition will surely hold up his sticker, but lets take a look and see whats going on. When I get the wheels off, the story unfolds. He has done 4 rear brake jobs in the last 3 years on this car, all using (insert name of big box auto store here) parts. Closer inspection reveals the pad hardware upside down. Brake pads are on backwards and seized in the brackets. He then says that he has to *hammer* the pads in place. (Well there's your problem) I figure we can get him going with the correct hardware. It's late but we can squeeze it in. Hot shot a set of hardware down in 7 minutes. Hardware fits the brackets now but the pads don't fit the hardware. Now we need a set of pads and it's almost 5pm. We put him in a loaner car and send him off for the night. Next day I put in the pads and all is well.

That was a lot of work for an inspection sticker. It's also a lot of work for a brake job. I wonder what he spent in the last 3 years on parts and how much of his time he used. So I made some money on this job. I gained a customer (at least for stuff he can't/wont do or stuff he screwed up). Question I have now is, 'Is it worth it?' I'm not sure. Once in a while is ok. A steady stream of this might get frustrating. I'm still on the fence. :?:
I think, we also have to ask ourselves the question, how often do they okay the work, as opposed to how much of our time have they sucked up without spending a penny?

In my short 10 years in the biz, they decline the work most of the time, and of those that do okay it, I can't recall a single one who turned into a "quality" customer. In fact, I sometimes find that they are so embarrassed, they never want to show their faces again, at our fine establishment. :wink:
John C.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

He did seem a bit embarassed that the job was done so poorly. I tried my best to ease him on that part. I really doubt he'd turn into an A customer. But do I want to turn away an occassional C customer based only on the fact that they are a C? Number Five need more input!
603-622-6434 x203

fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

the responses indicate to me, the diy'ers can't diy. i would be interested in a service referral from the diy site to do it for them. How many people have recieved step-by-step instruction from the on call ER doctor on how to stitch on a cut off finger?

Something more on the lines of this. "the info recieved here is brought to you by your local M1 shop owner. If you are experiencing difficulties in accomplishing this task, you may contact your local M1 shop for service and repair"
then search by zip.

i might be interested in something like this. just my .02 :idea:
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Cathy Kulp

Post by Cathy Kulp »

NO! DIY'S just tend to waste alot of our valuable time that can be spent on customers who pay for our knowledge.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

ricmorin wrote:Alright. I just had an experience with a DIY guy that I'll share....

Update: This customer has not turned out to be a regular, but we've seen them twice last year. This car was traded for a new Edge. He calls us when he's stuck on something. And it's usually a mess.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Polls”