2006 Kia Optima - 2.4L Engine Noise

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

2006 Kia Optima - 2.4L Engine Noise

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

OK need some more help here. 06 optima 2.4L 4 cylinder 5 speed manual trans. Customer brought it in for an engine noise. On cold start no noise. After it runs a few minutes it begins this tapping that progressively get louder, to the point it almost sounds like a rod bearing beginning to go bad. Begins like a lifter tap. Seems like no matter where I put the chassis ears it is there. BUT...when you let out the clutch, just at the point of engagement the noise is gone. Let the clutch out and it comes back in a second. rev the motor and it will disappear for a few seconds. It also seems to causing an engine vibration. No codes. Performed injector kill test, no change.
I did notice it uses a dual mass flywheel. Is it possible for a dual mass flywheel to make noise. I am just about to the point of tearing it apart for exploratory surgery. As a side note I have maintained this vehicle since it had 50k, now has 95k.
Thanks, Jeff.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 Kia Optima - 2.4L Engine Noise

Post by steven kiser »

A dual mass flywheel will make a knocking noise. I've seen a lot if fords. It doesn't sound like a lifter noise though but on a small one like this I really can't say. It follows the pattern of failed flywheel issues though.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”