1994 Jeep Cherokee Country - A/C Clutch

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
fasthands

1994 Jeep Cherokee Country - A/C Clutch

Post by fasthands »

I got this job for this guys ac clutch that keeps turning on and off.

Customer says the only way it will stay running is if he unplugs the cooling temperature switch which then causes the vehicle to idle high. I charged the system check the ecu and changed the IAC but its still doing the same thing I am at a lost right now. I changed pretty much the whole ac system so i know the compressor and clutch are working and the thing wont quit engaging and disengaging.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? HELP?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country - A/C Clutch

Post by steven kiser »

In keeping with the friendliness of the forum I'll need to ask a few questions here. Why are you replacing a/c parts when raising idle by forcing pcm to think vehicle is running hot causing it to raise idle stopping stalling. The issue depending on engine could be tune up related, vacuum leak, bad tps, filthy throttle body as well as plate screw adjustment messed with. Are here any codes or other issues along with the described symptom? Please include as much information as possible in next post. I've been working on jeeps for years especially since my children have owned them off and on for years and I'm in the process of restoring a few right now.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fasthands

Post by fasthands »

Thanks for responding. The vehicle does not have an idle problem what I was explaining was the only way the ac clutch would stay engaged is to unplug the temperature sensor. but when you do that it causes the vehicle to idle high. The problem is the ac wont stay running when everything is plugged up properly. No codes are displayed.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

What does the scan show the temp at with the temp sensor plugged in?
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Are we talking maintaining climate temp but cycling on and off or just cycling on off on off on off with maybe 5 to 10 second intervals? If it stays engaged for 20 or 30 seconds, maybe a bit longer, on initial engagement then starts cycling it sounds like a pressure issue. Without looking for parts to replace right away look at gauges and watch low side vs high side. If low side tanks and high side climbs and the needle starts to shudder then there is a blockage. May be lazy due to the expansion valve being partially stuck open or maybe be too much oil in the system. The tell is the gauges. Watch pressure, if all looks normal and compressor cycles check pressure sensors. Another issue I've run into is cabin temp sensor, If this has automatic climate control watch cabin temp through scanner. I've seen the sensors loaded up with so much dog or cat hair they looked like they were wearing a wig. I've replaced so many expansion valves on these over the years I once stocked them. If you decide it's an expansion valve issue I highly suggest flushing out evap core and look for metal particles. If you do find metal particles you may want to disconnect lines from condenser and do the same. The valves mess up frequently on their own but on occasion I've run into debris. Good luck
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”