2010 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 3.0L

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

2010 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 3.0L

Post by Sauvageaus »

About a month ago it got a pretty big hit up front, needed to do some dash work, pulling frame, fender, etc. Initially we had no issues with starting the vehicle and turning it over then driving it. After things were painted and put back on one day we went to move it and the Key wouldn't turn over in the ignition, couldn't move the steering wheel left or right, just seems completely lock. We did some looking at fuses to see if we popped one, all seem fine. We had a key shop look at it and have been in contact with the local dealer and no one has a clue of what it could be.

I've done a little research am thinking possibly has to do with the Infrared in the Key Fob or some transmitter? Bad Fob? Something else that isn't working causing the transmitter/Fob not to work?
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2010 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 3.0L

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

My snap on tpms tool will test key fobs. Maybe you could test it that way?
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Check the battery in the floor under the driver side floor mat. Make sure both batteries are good. If the batteries are low or bad it will cause this. I had a tire shop in town try to tell a person it had to go to Mercedes for a similar issue I had t towed over and replaced the batteries and all is well.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

brianp87 wrote:Check the battery in the floor under the driver side floor mat. Make sure both batteries are good. If the batteries are low or bad it will cause this. I had a tire shop in town try to tell a person it had to go to Mercedes for a similar issue I had t towed over and replaced the batteries and all is well.
The Dash is not assembled yet, but has ran before that way.

Put a Battery Charger on it - Nothing

Put a Jumper on the Battery - Still Nothing

With both of those there were lights on.

We also put the Positive and Negative together for 15 minutes and still no go.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

There is a solenoid that will release cylinder after the anti theft module reads the key. With no battery power for any time over a week or even a few days if the capacitors are weak you'll loose the KAM and you're screwed until everything is together. There is a way to manually release the lock out to turn key allowing you to hook up your scanner and try to make modules relearn. If that fails and your scanner can't program you may have to either tow it to a dealer or sweet talk someone from the dealership to come to you. On older Sprinters there was a bulletin on that lock out calling for an updated one to be installed. It wasn't published but the parts manager at the dealer I use filled me in on it and faxed me a copy. Good luck. If this is an insurance job you may want to get a supplement going, you may need it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

steven kiser wrote:There is a solenoid that will release cylinder after the anti theft module reads the key. With no battery power for any time over a week or even a few days if the capacitors are weak you'll loose the KAM and you're screwed until everything is together. There is a way to manually release the lock out to turn key allowing you to hook up your scanner and try to make modules relearn. If that fails and your scanner can't program you may have to either tow it to a dealer or sweet talk someone from the dealership to come to you. On older Sprinters there was a bulletin on that lock out calling for an updated one to be installed. It wasn't published but the parts manager at the dealer I use filled me in on it and faxed me a copy. Good luck. If this is an insurance job you may want to get a supplement going, you may need it.
Insurance job and the adjuster already said he's expecting a supplement, we've dealt with him many times. Building that trust etc, he said whatever it takes it takes, fix it for the company. We got a break down of parts, labor, and misc. plus the additional stuff we've done.

The only thing that makes it weird on what your saying is why would it start move it to a different spot in the shop. Sits there 10-15 minutes and we haven't done anything to it in the time being, to the key not turning at all 15 mins later?

I talked with the dealership parts and service yesterday and they're willing to help us in anything we need, their head tech gets back monday and will be calling us. Job has been a huge mess, its gonna be over a $20,000 job, we had over $10,000 in parts ordered so that definitely helps the dealership in wanting to help out.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

It's a good thing there is a good relationship between you and the dealer.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

Going to put it all back together and see if that will work.

I've tested the key by pointing it at a camera and there is a light/signal from the infrared.

I'll keep you updated once its put back together.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Id bet money on the batteries. The one I had they tried to jump etc.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

brianp87 wrote:Id bet money on the batteries. The one I had they tried to jump etc.
batteries seem to be fine, tested them both. Jumped them and charged them. There are lights that work inside when you open the door etc.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Ive had it happen. I had an ambulance towed in from another shop they had for tires they let battery go dead it wouldn't jump charge or anything. They wanted to tow it out of town to Mercedes they couldn't figure it out also. The ambulance company called me I had them tow it here and put new batteries in it and all was well. The key would not turn. I do not remember if it wouldn't come out or if lights worked etc. Was a few years ago. Id double check if I was you.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

brianp87 wrote:Ive had it happen. I had an ambulance towed in from another shop they had for tires they let battery go dead it wouldn't jump charge or anything. They wanted to tow it out of town to Mercedes they couldn't figure it out also. The ambulance company called me I had them tow it here and put new batteries in it and all was well. The key would not turn. I do not remember if it wouldn't come out or if lights worked etc. Was a few years ago. Id double check if I was you.

Going to have the dash and everything put together and see if that works have had other people say the same thing put it back together and that should get things working. If that doesn't I'll try batteries and if not it's headed to the dealership.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

GOOD NEWS!!!!

When we were putting the dash back together, we noticed a wire back in there that must of got bumped and undone. Once we put that back together it turned over/clicked like normal and started.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Great..................
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I just love a simple solution that resolves a possible meltdown. Congrats. I wish I found a loose wire on a Camry I'm working on.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

steven kiser wrote:I just love a simple solution that resolves a possible meltdown. Congrats. I wish I found a loose wire on a Camry I'm working on.
Why do you think I don't need a haircut? Always pulling my hair out on some of these situations :lol:

Return to “Imports - Other”