2007 Subaru Forester XT Limited 2.5 OHC Turbo Manual

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
StateDawg

2007 Subaru Forester XT Limited 2.5 OHC Turbo Manual

Post by StateDawg »

VIN # JF1SG69657G742299 - 147,000 miles - Located In Massachusetts.

In almost 12 years this may be the biggest head scratcher that we have ever had. My lead tech is an A tech. We have very few come backs. We have AllData, Identifix and ProDemand. I have spent untold hours on the internet searching. And I have tied up our contacts at the local Subaru dealership a number of times. So any input would be helpful.

Problem: No check engine lights. No codes in any module. When the vehicle is cold in the morning (in the summer) the vehicle stalls out and it happens even more as the temps get colder.

Recent Background History:

March, 2014 - timing belt replaced (loaded)
Nov, 2014 - replaced complete clutch set up --- customer also complained that the turbo wasn't kicking in and we could not duplicate issue, nor have we ever duplicated
Jan, 2014 - battery replaced (ACDelco)
Feb, 2015 - LOF (Synthetic)

Related History:
April, 2015 - customer reports "SINCE COLD WEATHER, IN MORNING, AFTER LAST OIL CHANGE - STARTS VEHICLE AND DRIVES A COUPLE OF BLOCKS, COMES TO STOP AND EVERYTHING GOES OFF AND LOSES BRAKES AND STEERING - CRANK STARTS AND THEN FINE - IDLE SEEMS OFF TOO PER CUSTOMER"

We SCANNED FOR CODES AND NO CODES PRESENT UNABLE TO DUPLICATE ISSUE AT THIS TIME - WARMER MORNING - TEST DROVE, CHECKED SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM FUEL AND OK; CHECKED O2 SENSORS AND OK; PERFORMED NUMEROUS MECHANICAL CHECKS AND NOTHING UNUSUAL FOUND; RESEARCHED AND CHECKED CROSSOVER TUBE AND FOUND SLUDGE AND WATER PRESENT - THIS TUBE LEADS TO CRANKCASE AND WOULD EFFECT AIR FLOW TO INTAKE AND COULD CAUSE ISSUES DESCRIBED BY CUSTOMER - CLEANED AND GAVE BACK TO CUSTOMER.

April, 2015 - customer reports four days later "STALL OUTED AGAIN AFTER RECENT CRANKSHAFT HOSE CLEANING"

We test drove with customer and were unable to duplicate issue. We scanned for codes again and no codes present. CLEANED THROTTLE BODY. PERFORMED THROTTLE RELEARN PROCEDURE; PERFORMED IDLE RELEARN PROCEDURE; REINSPECTED CLUTCH INSTALLATION; REMOVED AND INSPECTED NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH AND REINSTALLED AS NEEDED - still unable to duplicate issue. Did all at our own expense.

April, 2015 - customer reports two weeks later "STALLED OUT AGAIN"

We are UNABLE TO DUPLICATE ON MON, TUES AND WED DURING 3 DAY STAY AT SSM. We replaced neutral safety switch and cleaned throttle body for the second time. Both at our expense.

April, 2015 - customer reports 5 days later "ONLY STALLS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WHEN IT'S COLD, ONLY HAPPENS AFTER DRIVING A TENTH OF A MILE OR SO IN 4TH."

Finally able to duplicate issue - REPLACED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR WITH UPDATED PART BASED ON TSB ISSUED BY SUBARU - part # 22670AA252

June, 2015 - customer reports "STALLED OUT AGAIN - NO FUEL SMELL, CRANKS AT START UP SOMETIMES TOO"

rechecked timing, checked idle control valve; replaced three relays - ELECTRONIC CONTROL THROTTLE RELAY, SECONDARY IGNITION #2 & FUEL PUMP RELAY; performed carbon cleaning with machine; had vehicle for ten days, test drove every day at least three times and unable to duplicate

July, 2015 - customer left vehicle for two weeks while away

Replaced throttle body assembly, replaced air/fuel ratio sensor and crankshaft position sensor.

Sept, 2015

PER SUBARU: they told us to replace the air suction valves part #14864AA030; #14864AA020 ... three days later the car stalled out.

I couldn't possibly type all the things we checked. We ate at least 50 hours of labor and research. Parts were offered to the customer at cost. And God knows this comes across as us throwing parts at the issue. And maybe we did (as in the case of the relays) but I don't know what else to do at this point. This isn't the MO of our shop, that's why we are eating so much in an attempt to resolve the issue.

I'm thinking that we are overthinking the issue and are going after all the 1 in 1000 car issues.

Thank you in advance.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2007 Subaru Forester XT Limited 2.5 OHC Turbo Manual

Post by steven kiser »

Where was the oil changed prior to this happening? I would put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what the reading is right off. Let's say the engine was started with no oil in it even just for a second the pump could / would have scored and this would cause a low head pressure when cold. If it weren't an turbo it may go unnoticed but the turbo needs pressure right away or it will not spool. What is the temp reading a scanner sees before it's started on a cold morning?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
StateDawg

Re: 2007 Subaru Forester XT Limited 2.5 OHC Turbo Manual

Post by StateDawg »

steven kiser wrote:Where was the oil changed prior to this happening? I would put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what the reading is right off. Let's say the engine was started with no oil in it even just for a second the pump could / would have scored and this would cause a low head pressure when cold. If it weren't an turbo it may go unnoticed but the turbo needs pressure right away or it will not spool. What is the temp reading a scanner sees before it's started on a cold morning?
I will get the info from my tech and advise.

Return to “Imports - Other”