2002 Mazda Miata Intermitant Engine Stall

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2002 Mazda Miata Intermitant Engine Stall

Post by Tim Martin »

I have this 2002 Mazda Miata with a 1.8L engine and a manual transmission. The issue is a very random intermittant engine stall upon startup. It may go for several days till it happens again. There is no codes in the PCM. I replaced the idle air control valve several weeks ago and the issue is still there. The car only has 60,000 miles on it. I have tried to have my scan tool on it and monitor various sensors but so far Im coming up empty. Everything is working as it is supposed to. What should I be looking for?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2002 Mazda Miata Intermitant Engine Stall

Post by brianp87 »

Random issues can be difficult. It really only needs two things to run. So first you need to see if it is losing fuel or spark during the event. Then after that move forward each time it happens.
Tim Martin

Re: 2002 Mazda Miata Intermitant Engine Stall

Post by Tim Martin »

Today I replaced both the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor as per advice from other techs. Went to back the car out of the garage and lo - the problem is still there. I started it up and could not keep it running even with rapidly stroking the accelerator pedal. It shuts off and then I start it up again and it stays running. Extremely difficult to diagnose.

And extremely frustrating.

Return to “Imports - Other”