2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart - Rev Limiter Issue

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart - Rev Limiter Issue

Post by Hardwood »

Replaced customer supplied timing belt/balance belts on this vehicle. Customer called later to say his rev limiter is hitting at 5,000 RPMs and he never noticed that before. There is no information that I could find regarding the rev limiter using OnDemand5 so I am asking here.

The customer reads his owners forums and that group thinks the default rev limiter should be 6750-6800 RPM's.

Any help regarding the factory settings for rev limiter on this vehicle would be appreciated! Can the rev limiter be programmed with Mitsu scan tools or software updates?

More information: No check engine light, no codes since timing belt was done here. Engine runs and drives normal. Idles normal. Customer agrees car runs fine except for the rev limiter anomaly.

VIN number: JA3AJ66F44U020183

Thanks!
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart - Rev Limiter Issue

Post by ricmorin »

I'm embarassed to say I've never heard of a Ralliart before today. :oops:

I'd double check the timing marks to be sure you're all set on your end. After that it's not your problem. I've never used the factory scanner for Mitsu; no idea about programming. It may have been like that all along.

I found your customers thread while searching for info on this. That was weird. :roll:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

The Ralliart is a variation of the Lancer.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Tim Martin wrote:The Ralliart is a variation of the Lancer.
Yup. Figured that out after a few clicks of research. Funny how I've never heard of it before. I guess I'm not of that generation.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ya mite be showin yer age.

Laying all jokes aside, it is difficult to keep up with all these different names on todays vehicles.

Addressing the rev limiter issue. I have not run into a rev limiter issue on any vehicle today although supposedly there is rev limiters in place in some of the applications. I find it difficult to believe that replacing a timing belt would change any programing of the pcm. Although, who knows? It could be that the chemistry on a worn belt between the sprockets could cause some ever so slight variation in the readings the pcm sees. But this could be an interesting matter to follow.

Waiting to hear more.
prestigeauto
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by prestigeauto »

I would suspect the air gap on the crankshaft position sensor has been changed. If gap is too small this problem could happen(in theory).
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

If the gap is to much the reading would be slower but the SEL would come on I would think
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

According to Mitchell, the crank sensor does not have to be interfered with in a timing belt r&r. So unless the tech moved it, that should not be an issue. But..... this is electronics nowadays, anything can happen.

But I do agree with the ideas presented about air gap causing some erratic feedback.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

if tach is correct, sensor wouldn't have been moved. let's just say tha the battery was disconnected. i would have because of precautionary issues. i've had wrenches slide over and hit + post before :oops: . if the capasitor in the pcm is weak it may cause this issue. i seem to remember having issues years ago with the mitsu's puking pcm's because the battery was disconnected over a period of time. i know that if the positive cable grounded (when disconnected from battery) it may or may not discharge the capasitor. i've seen a circuit board on gt300 smoked when a capasitor shorted. now on the other hand if belt is a tooth or two off it may not be a rev limiter. is the rpm recovering with a vengance when it drops below 5k? has someone tampered with or installed a kit in the pcm? i've seen vvt's float out and rpm drop. the diffrence between a rev limiter and valve timing is obvious but i've overlooked the obvious before. does the rpm just drop off or does it scatter. if it scatters i would look at the timing marks. you can have plenty of power on acceleration and the marks be off. good luck. i'm seeing an oil pressure cut off switch mentioned in a few articles and see the oil pump it timed as well. it may be being confused with a limiter.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Hardwood »

Thank you for the replies. The crank sensor is removed during the timing belt replacement, but it is engineered to be a fixed air gap (the wiring harness is built into the plastic timing cover).

This customer recently purchased this car and admits he may be imagining things in regards to the rev limiter issue and the timing belt replacement. He doesn't remember hitting the limiter before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't always been that way.

The car runs fine otherwise (no SES light and no other driveability concerns).

My offer to him was to research the factory settings for the rev limiter. I cannot find any published information regarding what RPM it is supposed to engage, and whether it is different when free revving or when under load. This car is a 5 speed manual.

Are there any Mitsu techs in here that can look this up?

Thanks again to all replies!
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com

Return to “Imports - Other”