2000 Subaru Forrester - Slow Shifting Into Drive

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
maharrick

2000 Subaru Forrester - Slow Shifting Into Drive

Post by maharrick »

WHAT WOULD CAUSE A FORESTER TO SHIFT SLOW WHEN PUTTING CAR INTO DRIVE? IT TAKES ABOUT 10 SECONDS FOR IT TO KICK INTO GEAR; ALL OTHER SHIFTING IS FINE. HAS HAD A TRANS SERVICE.

IF CAR IS PUT INTO REVERSE THEN SHIFTED TO DRIVE, IT GOES RIGHT IN.

MARK
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Subaru Forrester - Slow Shifting Into Drive

Post by steven kiser »

ok, does it only happen when cold?. if so the valve body may have blow by. it may have wrong fluid. the curb idle may be too high. when it enguages is it smooth or harsh? mileage is very important here. if it's high any repair may be like putting a bandage over a bullet hole. i know that the tranny's in 98 & 99's were time bombs as far as the differential end of the trannies go. i'm not sure of the 2000's. the reason was simple. the diff filled seperate from the tranny and was alway's overlooked.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
maharrick

Post by maharrick »

i NEED TO REPOST THIS QUESTION. WE HAVE THE VEHICLE AGAIN. WHEN CAR IS COLD OR WARM IT TAKES 8-10 SECONDS TO SHIFT INTO IST FROM PARK. ALL OTHER SHIFTING IS FINE. WHEN CAR IS PUT INO REVERSE FIRST, IT WILL GO RIGHT INTO DRIVE
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Reverse commands higher line pressure, thus quick engagement. Computer delivers a signal for lower line pressure when placed in drive. Converter drain back after sitting is usually corrected by an overhaul or check valve stuck if you were that lucky. Bottom line is you have a pressure issue from introduction of air.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
maharrick

Post by maharrick »

I AM SORRY BUT IT IS FROM REVERSE TO DRIVE THAT IS SLOW. ALL OTHER SHIFTING IS FINE. MARK
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

how many miles? like stated above it seems there is a pressure issue. i'm kinda thinking that the pressure drop off to enguage drive is a bit slow. it's desighned to enguage at a lower pressure to eliminate a harsh enguagement. was the proper fluid used when it was serviced. we learned the hard way that using the specific fluid is manditory. i will not use the so called "universal" fluids that cover a wide application. like stated before the mileage is a key issue here. if over 100k i would treat it carefully. with scanner attached i would watch the readings. i believe if pcm is reading a high line pressure it won't allow the tranny to enguage. check line pressure. the cooler may be restricted. another issue may be the idle. if idle is exceeding 1000 rpm the tranny will hesitate before enguaging in drive. you should be able to yank it down into 1st and it will immeadiatly enguage. good luck. on any venicle that i'm having issues with i always make sure it's operating at factory specs before i start to resolve an issue.....................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”