2001 BMW 325xi - Blower Fluctuates FIXED

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2001 BMW 325xi - Blower Fluctuates FIXED

Post by Hardwood »

Without a way to confirm the blower motor resistor (Final Stage Unit) is the symptom of a fluctuating blower speed a likely cause to replace the blower resistor?

Troubleshooting this symptom is not available through Mitchell.

The blower motor seems to have a mind of it's own and will go from the speed you set to a higher speed, full speed and anywhere in between. Doesn't seem to matter if you have it set to auto or manual mode.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Last edited by Hardwood on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 2001 BMW 325xi - Blower Fluctuates

Post by Hardwood »

:D FIXED

Took an educated guess and replaced the blower motor resistor (Final Stage Unit).

No longer "hunts" for fan speed. Customer delighted! She had been living with the issue for over a year for fear the BMW dealer would charge her dearly just to diagnose it....

Happy ending and I hope this helps others in the future.

Howard
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: 2001 BMW 325xi - Blower Fluctuates FIXED

Post by a&mauto »

Thanks for posting this.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for the post
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
TotalMINIBMW

Post by TotalMINIBMW »

Common problem on all X5's, 3, 5 series. Most cars with Auto Climate control
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

personally i feel that being a good tech on any make, year, vintage, etc all revolves around the proper equipment. years ago i was trained by a master mechanic and this person could listen to the noise the air was making going through a carb, place his hand on the valve cover and make a diagnosis. times have changed. now i have clip on mic's and a head set to find a noise. no more long screw drivers to my ear, well not as much as years ago. in today's shops, to be successful (in my opinion. there are shops that do well without.) you need the proper equipment. there are still shops that don't have decent diagnostic equipment or the proper tools to do the work. the commercial about the universal battery comes to mind. as a matter of fact shops in my area akin to these types keep me busy from time to time. my advise, if you want to specialize in beemers and be a master tech is to go to a tech school, get a job at a dealer (don't expect to much right away) take as many courses as they offer, find an old timer at the dealer and listen to him, learn from him. the issue with dealers is that you'll more than likely only work on warranty issues and possibly never reach the level you're looking for. you may be able to find a shop that specializes in beemers where they will take you under their wing. i'd look for a shop like that, learn from them and if you want to go to a dealer afterward and learn all the new techniques you'll be as much as an all around tech as possible. i wish i had the passion for vehicles now that i did in the late 60's.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”