2000 Hyundai Sonata - Code PO340 FIXED

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2000 Hyundai Sonata - Code PO340 FIXED

Post by AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR »

KEEP GETTING P0340 CAM SENSOR CODE REPLACED SENSOR 2X DID ALL TEST NEVER LOSE GROUND, POWER OR 5V REF. SENSOR IS AT 13 HRZ AND AROUND 38 HRZ AT IDLE. CAR WILL DIE AND RESTART BUT CODE 340 COMES BACK. REPLACED PCM BECAUSE OF NO OTHER PROBLEMS. CLEAR CODE DRIVE SHORT TRIPS DOES FINE LONG TRIPS, 20MIN OR SO DIES AND CODE COMES BACK.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Hyundai Sonata -Code PO340

Post by steven kiser »

just quickly shot gunned this issue and i see a few issues where the ignition timing is off and this will cause an imbalance that the pcm will see as a cam sensor issue and throw a code. how many miles? saw a mention of a timing belt being loose enough to cause a reading issue. when we get the specifics maybe we can help better. i still feel that most of the hyunda's with the exception of the sonata should be used as artificial reefs. they were conceived from the floor sweepings from the toyota and suzuki factories.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR

Re: 2000 Hyundai Sonata -Code PO340

IT IS A 2000 HYUND. SONOTA 2.4 LITER VIN S. COLD WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS ONLY AFTER EVERYTHING IS HOT.
ricmorin

Re: 2000 Hyundai Sonata - Code PO340

Post by ricmorin »

Check the Crank sensor on these. The wires have a habit of drying up and cracking from heat. They can cause a cam sensor correlation codes.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR

PULLED OFF THE TIMING COVER TO SEE A NEW CRANK SEN. NEW WIRING AND A LITTLE PLAY IN BELT. QUESTION, IS THERE SUPPOSE TO BE OIL IN CAM SEN. HOUSING? PULLED SEN. AND HAS OIL ALLOVER IT.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR wrote:PULLED OFF THE TIMING COVER TO SEE A NEW CRANK SEN. NEW WIRING AND A LITTLE PLAY IN BELT. QUESTION, IS THERE SUPPOSE TO BE OIL IN CAM SEN. HOUSING? PULLED SEN. AND HAS OIL ALLOVER IT.
I believe so. Runs off one of the cams in the back.

Looks like someone has been there already. Is the cam timing on correctly? Check all the marks carefully. This vehicle uses a hydraulic tensioner, so there should be no looseness to the belt. Perhaps the tensioner is not working correctly. There is a secondary belt on these I think, underneath the main belt.
603-622-6434 x203

AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR

THE BELT WAS OFF 1 TOOTH AND YES SOMEONE BEEN IN IT BEFORE. CLEANED OFF THE RELUCTOR PLATE WAS FILTHY AND GROOVES IN IT REALIGHED. STARTED CAR AT 3:40 P.M. RUNNING KNOW FOR 15 MIN. I'LL LET YOU KNOW IN TIME. THANKS DAVE
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR

AT 4:02P.M. DIED STARTED RIGHT BACK UP RAN FOR 2 MIN. DIED CH ENG. LITE CAME ON CODE P0340, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE NOW NO STUMBLE ON START UP. WE HAD THAT FOR APPROX. 30 SECONDS BEFORE REDOING TIMING BELT NOW NO STUMBLE. STARTS AND DIES EVERY 2MIN OF RUN AND STARTS RITE BACK UP. AFTER 5 MIN COOL DOWN WILL RUN FOR 20 MIN.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR wrote:AT 4:02P.M. DIED STARTED RIGHT BACK UP RAN FOR 2 MIN. DIED CH ENG. LITE CAME ON CODE P0340, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE NOW NO STUMBLE ON START UP. WE HAD THAT FOR APPROX. 30 SECONDS BEFORE REDOING TIMING BELT NOW NO STUMBLE. STARTS AND DIES EVERY 2MIN OF RUN AND STARTS RITE BACK UP. AFTER 5 MIN COOL DOWN WILL RUN FOR 20 MIN.
Just scope both cam and crank signals. One of them may be cutting out.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm going back to my basic philosophy here. someone been there before, remove all that was installed and replace with oem. if sensor was bad and new one was installed incorrectly or installed by a gorilla it may be bad. it there any filings being picked up on sensor? it has all the markings of temperature related issues but i always watch the 02 sensors. once they change loop does this issue pop right up? if so unplug them and see if stalling goes away. there may be a tie in with the sensors. make sure plug at pcm is clean and connections tight.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR

Re: 2000 Hyundai Sonata - Code PO340 FIXED

SCOPED BOTH CAM AND CRANK SENSOR WITH 2 DIFF SCOPES. NO GLITCHES FOUND STILL DIEING. FOR THE FUN OF IT REPLACED CRANK SENSOR, BEING ALREADY REPLACED CAM SEN. 3X. HAD NEW CRANK SENSOR ON THIS CAR BUT REPLACED ANY WAY. CAR RUNS GREAT RAN FOR 4 HRS. THAN DROVE FOR 22 MILES. CAME BACK TO SHOP SHUT OFF CAR FOR 15. MIN. RESTARTED DROVE FOR ANOTHER 1\2 HOUR IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC ,NO PROBLEMS. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. THANKS AGAIN DAVE
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for the posted fix. was the first replaced crank sensor o.e.m.? if yes i'm surprised it failed, if not well........
ricmorin

Re: 2000 Hyundai Sonata - Code PO340 FIXED

Post by ricmorin »

AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR wrote:SCOPED BOTH CAM AND CRANK SENSOR WITH 2 DIFF SCOPES. NO GLITCHES FOUND STILL DIEING. FOR THE FUN OF IT REPLACED CRANK SENSOR, BEING ALREADY REPLACED CAM SEN. 3X. HAD NEW CRANK SENSOR ON THIS CAR BUT REPLACED ANY WAY. CAR RUNS GREAT RAN FOR 4 HRS. THAN DROVE FOR 22 MILES. CAME BACK TO SHOP SHUT OFF CAR FOR 15. MIN. RESTARTED DROVE FOR ANOTHER 1\2 HOUR IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC ,NO PROBLEMS. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. THANKS AGAIN DAVE
Good job. You're picking up the mess of a poorly executed repair. That takes time and patience.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Imports - Other”