1996 Isuzu Rodeo - Need Module! FOUND

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

1996 Isuzu Rodeo - Need Module! FOUND

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Ok folks I am up the creek and need help. 1996 Rodeo 3.2 v-6. Need the ignition module. Isuzu calls it ignition swith-coil (I think thats what they said). It is located on the top off the intake manifold to the rear. The activant cat has a great pic of it, I just dont know how to copy it over to here. The part has been discontinued from all sorces I have (Isuzu, Honda, Delco, etc). I searched the internet, couldnt find anything. Original part number is 8161982390. It kinda irks me that the manufacture dont even offer it and these folks are down w/o a car! Call me, e-mail me, send smoke signals,if ya know or find anything. Thanks ya'all :!:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1996 Isuzu Rodeo - Need Module!

Post by steven kiser »

jeff, i've had a few issues with these beauties in the ignition system. by far the biggest issue with these is the wiring harness. if it was moved to replace the plugs or intake leak there is probably a broken wire inside the loom. i have a few customers that had these bombs and i had to replace the engine harness on all of them. as far as the module goes i'd log onto greenleaf auto salvage, they're a l.k.q. company and are nation wide. another source i use is e bay. i've found many, many hard to find parts there. on the rare occasion i couldn't find a working pcm i've had them rebuilt through my carquest distributor as an r&r. usually takes about three weeks. better hope this doesn't backfire and blow a flex pipe. that's when the fun really starts. :lol: :lol: good luck. hope you're enjoying the warmth.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Ok folks I am up the creek and need help. 1996 Rodeo 3.2 v-6. Need the ignition module. Isuzu calls it ignition swith-coil (I think thats what they said). It is located on the top off the intake manifold to the rear. The activant cat has a great pic of it, I just dont know how to copy it over to here. The part has been discontinued from all sorces I have (Isuzu, Honda, Delco, etc). I searched the internet, couldnt find anything. Original part number is 8161982390. It kinda irks me that the manufacture dont even offer it and these folks are down w/o a car! Call me, e-mail me, send smoke signals,if ya know or find anything. Thanks ya'all :!:
I looked around too. The only thing I found were 3 used ones on Car-Part.com. You may have to go used.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Jeff @ Able Auto

Thanks folks! The owners are good floks. They asked me to look over a few used cars for them before purchase. This Rodeo was the cleanest one they brought in that was in their price range, paying cash. 180k on the clock but really clean, apperared to be well kept. I recommended a timing belt as insurance, then follow up every few monthe till they had all maint current, gives them a starting point for future maint. A week later they bring it in for timing belt and the check eng lite is now on. Code for egr, leads to egr failed. I put on the timing belt, replace egr and road test. During road test it starts runnin like a bag of s*#t. Lite comes back on. Now I have codes for ignition module, egr, misfire,etc. Found 12 volts back feeding the ignition module and egr. Start wiggling the harnes and found I could move it near the brake master and get a change. Open it up and found 3 wires shorted together. Appears to have been off and on for a while, probably a reason for previous owner gettin rid of it. Anyway the 12 volt back feed to the "igniter module" blew it out. I feel bad for givin them the green light to buy it and even worse that I am havin such a hard time fixin it. My wife tells me I take it to personal, but thats why I have the reputation I do. Anyway Thanks for the help, and I will call on these on car-parts as soon as thing open.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Thanks Ric, the Car-Parts.com worked. Found the module in Mo. Fella even pulled it off the shelf and called me back to confirm the connectors and pin counts. Is overnighting it UPS. I now hope it didnt backfeed all the way to the ecm. :? The Forums bailed me out again :!:
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Thanks Ric, the Car-Parts.com worked. Found the module in Mo. Fella even pulled it off the shelf and called me back to confirm the connectors and pin counts. Is overnighting it UPS. I now hope it didnt backfeed all the way to the ecm. :? The Forums bailed me out again :!:
Don't thank me. It was this forum that reminded me of Car-Part.com back when I was looking for something. What comes around, goes around. Glad it worked out. :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Imports - Other”