1994 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L Cyl Heads Coolant Pipe Removal Time?

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1994 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L Cyl Heads Coolant Pipe Removal Time?

Post by sbebenelli »

I have a 1994 Isuzu Trooper S 3.2. This is the single over head cam engine. On the back of the heads it has an aluminum coolant pipe that goes from one head to the other. One side is pouring coolant around the gasket.

I really don't see how you can get to this pipe. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the gaskets on this? I wondered if removing the intake would help but I'm skeptical.

I looked for some type of time in Mitchell but didn't see this pipe listed. I need to give the customer some sort of price.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 1994 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L Cyl Heads Coolant Pipe Removal Time?

Post by Tim Martin »

Is that what they would call a "Coolant Passage Manifold"? If so, my Mitchell 1 Estimator gives 2.8 hours for the replacement of this, which includes R&R the intake manifold.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

just a tip here before you start. the wiring harness for the engine is probably brittle and any significant movement will cause major issues. as a rule (when the parts were available) if i was removing an intake i would strongly inform the customer that harness damage was imminent and it was non repairable. take it from me, any movement will cause wiring damage and the more you open and repair the broken wire the more you'll break. make sure you can even get the tube and hope the retainer bolts don't break. i would quote a minimum time only and be prepared to have your expertise and patience tested on this vehicle. if i recall (i'm a bit unsure here and there isn't any picture to refresh my memory because i've forced them all out) it may be an o ring seal on the tube where it goes into the back of the head. corrosion is a huge issue with these and the bore in the head may be pitted. talk about a can of worms. you could support a major fishing tournament.....................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ya know. I'd agree with ya steve. I worked on this engine already an the time of 2.8 hrs could be misleading. And, yes, there are issues such as you mention that could turn this into a much larger ticket. Be careful! And, yes, getting parts for this set a wheels could be an issue.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

The recent Rodeo fiasco here at the shop leads me to agree! Ignition module no longer available, wiring shorted everwhere! Paid well but man what a pain in the a*#!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've been very lucky finding a lot of parts on e/bay not only for these but other hard to find parts as well.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”