2005 Mercedes CL500 - ABS & MIL On

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

2005 Mercedes CL500 - ABS & MIL On

Post by crmeyers »

'05 Mercedes-Benz CL500 5L V8 came in last night. Customer stated ABS and MIL lights came on together and vehicle developed a transmission shifting problem. We test drove the vehicle and experienced normal transmission operation. We decoded the ECU and found P2037 CAN message from ETC control module missing or faulty. We had no communication with any other module, so obtaining ABS codes was not possible. No information is available in Alldata or Mitchell about this fault code other than the description. Checked all the basics. Code will not clear.

Anyone run into this one before?
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Mercedes CL500 - ABS & MIL On

Post by steven kiser »

yep, i've run into issues like this before. look into the abs and make absolutely sure the sensors are reading correctly. check for bearing play, new dents ( curb shots) on wheels. if you can get a scanner reading watch all the wheel speeds. there may be one off just a bit. was there a recent brake job done on this car? if yes look carefully there. i read this may be a intermittent code and clearing it and turning the car loose is an acceptable procedure. i also noticed that there are several issues calling for a pcm reburn for a series of transmission problems. the pcm takes the readings from the wheel sensors and applies them to traction control and transmission functions. these transmissions are mmmmmmm sensitive at best. personally, i would clear code and ship it with a good explanation of why to customer, but be sure to tell them that if the fault reoccurs it's not a what ever issue. if these transmissions aren't performing in "perfect harmony" they're going to self destruct.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
crmeyers

Post by crmeyers »

Funny you should mention it Steven. The driver front wheel was damaged causing the tire to go flat while on the lot. Looks like a curb shot to me. Will call customer and see if all this started after impact and let you know.
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
crmeyers

Post by crmeyers »

Talked to the customer this morning. He said he is not interested in investigating the problem further, so I guess we'll never know the answer. Thanks for the input!
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i just love it when a issue goes away.........................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”