2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS - No A/C @ Idle?

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS - No A/C @ Idle?

Post by John C. »

At 1500 RPM A/C works fine, but when at idle blows only warm air.

System is fully charged (not over or under – we just did it :wink: ).

We’re guessing compressor.

Any ideas? :?
John C.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS - No A/C @ Idle?

Post by fortknoxx »

does it have a comp cut off switch? is the comp shutting off, or is it still engaged? is the blower fan blowing at a constant speed?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

Need more info than that...high side and low side pressures at idle and at 1500, and ambient temperature would be helpful.
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
John C.

Post by John C. »

fortknoxx wrote:does it have a comp cut off switch? is the comp shutting off, or is it still engaged? is the blower fan blowing at a constant speed?
Nope to the cutoff switch, compressor is staying on, fan is working properly.
crmeyers wrote:Need more info than that...high side and low side pressures at idle and at 1500, and ambient temperature would be helpful.
Will answer after lunch.
John C.
John C.

Post by John C. »

crmeyers wrote:Need more info than that...high side and low side pressures at idle and at 1500, and ambient temperature would be helpful.
48 degrees inside at 1500, blowing warm air at idle.

1500: high side 150, low side 25-30, at idle: high side 150, low side 55.
John C.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Is this what the car came in for? Did you do anything other than a recharge? Do you check for sealer?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
John C.

Post by John C. »

ricmorin wrote:Is this what the car came in for? Did you do anything other than a recharge? Do you check for sealer?
Yes, that is why it came in. Mark disconnected the low side pipe and "looked inside for any s..." said it was clean. He says he saw no evidence of sealer anywhere.
John C.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

is this your true customer, or just one that comes to you when shadetree can't fix it? How long has it been doing this? Anything replaced before this happened (by you or some one else)? We might need to quiz the customer as to what and when. Anything look new or stripped? Just throwing out some ideas here.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

fortknoxx wrote:is this your true customer, or just one that comes to you when shadetree can't fix it? How long has it been doing this? Anything replaced before this happened (by you or some one else)? We might need to quiz the customer as to what and when. Anything look new or stripped? Just throwing out some ideas here.
This is John C., on Mark's computer.

Regular customer, although cheap, claims we're the only ones who've worked on his car since December of 06. I do believe him.

Been doing this for at least a few weeks, he said he's been putting it off (did I mention he's cheap?).

Mark is pretty certain it's the compressor, but it seems the only other thing it could be is the expansion valve. If we were sure it was the valve, he'd replace it. Knowing him, and he's already said so, if it's the compressor he'll just rev it at idle, that is of course until the compressor craps out (if that is the problem).
a&mauto

Post by a&mauto »

John C. wrote:
48 degrees inside at 1500, blowing warm air at idle.

1500: high side 150, low side 25-30, at idle: high side 150, low side 55.
Whats the air temp inside the shop? If its anywhere near 100 your high side pressure should be over 230 at 1500 rpm's. If the expansion valve was stuck wide open I doubt it would pull the low side down to 25. A long distance guess would be compressor. If you do the compressor you would want to replace the exp valve anyways..................
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yup. Compressor and expansion valve. Should cover it fine. Compressors not cheap...may scare him off. :roll:
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'd also slam a drier into it. shot gunning it may go against your grain (it does mine) but with these a/c systems i generally replace as a package. years ago i'd clamp off high side hose after the port to see how quick pressure would max out. not anymore, just r&r. way to many issues just replacing one of these items especially on a customer like this one seems to be. you're going to be held hostage if you try to save him money. it's a loose loose for you unless you shotgun it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
asample

Post by asample »

Make sure you have good air flow across condensor. Set a fan in front of car and force air across condensor at idle and see if it makes a difference. Check for debris between condensor and radiaor also make sure fins aren't flattened out.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
John C.

Post by John C. »

Thanks Arlin, and everyone else. I'd say we're all in agreement, and "customer" (note the "" marks) did exactly what was expected - "gonna rev it at red lights". :roll:
John C.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

what a boob..........i'll bet lunch he'll decide to up the rpm even more. i'd love to see him at a light either doing a torque stand or drop it into drive (or side step the clutch) when the light turns green. idiot.................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
John C.

Post by John C. »

steven kiser wrote:what a boob..........i'll bet lunch he'll decide to up the rpm even more. i'd love to see him at a light either doing a torque stand or drop it into drive (or side step the clutch) when the light turns green. idiot.................
Not to mention, that he has a toddler's seat in the back. Can't even shame some people into doing the right thing.

As a non-tech, it boggles my mind the condition of so many of the cars we see, and then you see the kid seats in the back. :shock:

Got a little justice last month. Hemmed and hawed about putting this person on the mailing list back in January of 08 when we opened, but in the end I decided to add them. Similar to the above mentioned "customer", plus he's one of those - "I don't want to put any money into it, I'm getting rid of it within a month or two" kind of people. Anyway, had (note "had" it'll make sense later) a Pilot that a quick lube place or dealership ruined the oil pan. First time he's contacted us, since we opened. Came in with 109,561 miles on it, we replaced the oil pan, and I put in recommendations and verbalized:

"(5/13/2010) Has 105,000 mile scheduled maintenance service been performed? This service includes timing belt/water pump replacement. This vehicle is equipped with an interference engine, if the timing belt were to break, serious internal engine damage may occur. Regular maintenance is the key to dependable performance, reliability, and MAXIMUM FUEL EFFICIENCY."

Got a call from him while he and the family were on vacation in PA - guess what happened? :twisted:
Last edited by John C. on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
John C.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Ooo. Ooo. Lemme guess.

He let you do all the maintenance and he was just calling to tell you that he made it there just fine and how HAPPY he was.

Am I close?
603-622-6434 x203

John C.

Post by John C. »

ricmorin wrote:Ooo. Ooo. Lemme guess.

He let you do all the maintenance and he was just calling to tell you that he made it there just fine and how HAPPY he was.

Am I close?
Exactly, and I was so glad to hear it, I slept like a baby that night. :lol:
John C.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

ricmorin wrote:Ooo. Ooo. Lemme guess.

Am I close?
wait, wait before you answer. how about it was your fault because "you're the expert and never should have allowed him to drive away knowing that this would happen" :shock: think this is way out there? if it hasn't happened you haven't been around long enough, just wait. i had a person file against me one time because i allowed his vehicle to leave my shop even though he signed a waver acknowledging that driving it would cause catastrophic engine damage. it was thrown out, even though he was a "victim".....
John C.

Post by John C. »

No Steve, surprisingly he wasn't mad at us, in fact he said he was having it towed all the way back to MA and wanted us to replace the engine. But - it never showed up and haven't heard from him since. Guess what? I'm okay with that.

He should have never made the cut, but then again just about everyone who didn't has found us anyway. I was in the lot after we'd been here a few months, and one of "them" is driving around the complex reeeaaalllllyyyyyy slow looking all around. I literally ran into the side door, hoping not to have been spotted, and I think I pulled it off. But, who comes waltzing in the door last summer, said, "I had a hard time finding you guys". (We hear that more than we'd like.) :evil:
John C.

Return to “Imports - Other”