2007 Mini Cooper - 1.6L Timing Chain

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
vinnieg
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2007 Mini Cooper - 1.6L Timing Chain

Post by vinnieg »

2007 Mini Cooper S - VIN: WMWMF73557TL91670 - 1.6L, In-Line4, VIN (3)

Customer came in a while back with severe engine noise and decided not to have us pull the valve cover and dig any deeper. Called a few days later saying that Mini told him he needs a new engine and wanted a quote from us for the job. {Boy did I underprice that one compared to the dealer price.}

Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and figured he had the dealer install the engine or maybe traded it in. Then he called again last week and said he was at Mini and they pulled the valve cover and the timing chain was 'thrown' and Mini still insists the engine needs to be replaced. He was having it towed to us to see if we could just replace the timing chain. A little research on the Interweb and the mechanic and I are finding this seems to be a common problem with these cars. Seems that once the chain it thrown and replaced lots of folks are having a second failure within a few thousand miles.

I am starting to think replacement of the timing chain might be one of those jobs that will forever keep coming back. Does anyone have any experience with the Mini Timing chains and how have the replacement parts held up?

Thanks,

Max
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2007 Mini Cooper - 1.6L Timing Chain

Post by steven kiser »

speaking for myself here, if this thing has been grinding away for a while i would suggest that the oil filter be opened up and inspected. if there are any and i mean any metal particles in it then they're already in the journals and the motor should be replaced. if not then it's still a crap shoot but at least a better one............
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2007 Mini Cooper - 1.6L Timing Chain

Post by fortknoxx »

wow, you got a good one here. i would do as steve said and inspect the oil filter. i would also document that engine damage has already been done, replacing the timing chain would only be a temp fix until a new engine can afforded.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Imports - Other”