1998 Subaru Forester - AWD Binds & Vibrates

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor

1998 Subaru Forester - AWD Binds & Vibrates

Post by John C. »

We have a 1998 Subaru Forester S, automatic, during slow turns the AWD binds and vibrates. We had another Forester doing the same thing a while ago, changed differential fluids, problem did not go away. Anybody else seen this, and if so what did you do?
John C.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 98 Forester AWD binds and vibrates

Post by steven kiser »

i've found cv joints jamming up causing issues like this. are the tires the correct and matching?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Re: 98 Forester AWD binds and vibrates

Post by ricmorin »

Wheel diameter are real important on these. Don't go by tire size, actually measure the circumference. Tolerance is 1/4 to 1/2 inch I think. Lots of problems with the solenoid in the rear diff. Also, there is an empty fuse holder on the RF shock tower. If you put a fuse in it, it turns the car into fwd only. Helps to isolate the problem. Any codes in the TCM?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Mark F

Re: 1998 Subaru Forester - AWD Binds & Vibrates

Post by Mark F »

No issues with CV joints.

Tires and rims are OE.

No codes.

Gonna check on rear differential solenoid, when car is in next.
prestigeauto
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by prestigeauto »

There is a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box labeled FWD. There will be no fuse in that spot. With one of the spare fuses install a fuse. This puts the vehicle into front wheel drive only. If problem is no longer present flush transmission fluid.

This has worked on two Subaru's with the same problem.

I found this fix on Identifix about a year ago. They recommend taking the fuse out and putting back a few times to get the new fluid into the clutches. So, if you have Identifix keyword shudder and you will find it. If you don't have Identifix - get it. Worth the money and then some!
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

wow, a 1998 with oe tires on it. are they dry rotted? if you meant they have the oe size "195/75/14" or what ever it says on the door. what ric meant was awd vehicles must have all 4 tires replaced at the same time. not 2 new fronts. even though the size on the side wall is the same.

2 year old tires on the back are gonna measure smaller than 2 brand new/ 1 yr old tires in the front. this spells disaster for the transfer case (weakest link). we have a tool from Rockland standard gear. it is u shaped, with a slide out channel measure marked. we open it up. go to each wheel. slide it shut on the outside of each tire and measure.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
John C.

Post by John C. »

fortknoxx wrote:wow, a 1998 with oe tires on it. are they dry rotted?
Why I oughta... :evil:

I hear you, but we do have quite a few customers with these vehicles and only a couple are experiencing this issue. And, believe you me, the tire configurations on some of them are, um, not so good, if you know what I mean.
John C.

Return to “Imports - Other”