2001 Volvo S60 - 2.4L Timing Marks

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
wheelz
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2001 Volvo S60 - 2.4L Timing Marks

Post by wheelz »

Have an S60 and cannot find the mark on the oil pump housing. Found two marks on crank pully. Belt broken and need to find them. Pictures on mitchell not very good; any help would be great.
Wheelz
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Volvo S60 - 2.4L Timing Marks

Post by steven kiser »

cams and crank only. i regret to tell you that this is an interference engine and you may, probably, be wasting your time. is this a turbo? not that it really matters and is it a vvt? again not that it matters because the head is probably toast. on volvos there is a special tool that should be used in setting up the belt. it locks the cams in position as well as locking #1 cylinder. again, the engine is probably trashed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

Attached is a diagram. Hope this helps. And, like Steven said, these are highly interference engines. Everyone I've ever seen that has broken a belt has bent a bunch of valves and caused other damage as well. Good Luck! :shock:
Attachments
volvo.jpeg
volvo.jpeg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
wheelz
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by wheelz »

that pic does not help that is what i have. I found Two marks on the crank and lined them up with a casting mark on the oil pump housing and tryed that. Then took it apart and put some valves in lined it up again and it ran smoth. Sent it out and have not seen it. but thanks for looking. By the way you tell me I am wasting my time how am i to check the valves with out a belt on it??
Wheelz
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

There are a couple of ways you can check the valves without the belt. One is to loosen the camshafts so the valves are closed, then attach a leakdown tester and see if it will hold pressure. You can also eyeball the valves to ensure they are closed (valve cover off) and then pressure test it. Another way is to look inside the cylinder with a borescope.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with ric. leakdown is most accurate. on engines like this, where the chances of valves being bent are 99.9% i charge a cylinder with air and spin cams so the valves are up. it's not as accurate as pulling cams but like i said on these engines i'm not looking for 100%. now (never happened to me, and i've done a fair amount) if i had one where the valves didn't bend after a belt snap i'm heading to the local store and buying as many lottery tickets as i can and playing the numbers, heading to vegas and breaking it. the starts are in line and i'm on a roll. no it's not the customers stars, it's mine, mine, mine..... :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I've had a few that didn't bend even though they were interference. Not many, mind you, but a few.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Imports - Other”