1997 Landrover Discovery - 4.0L Skips 2.5 sec FIXED

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Re: 1997 Landrover Discovery - 4.0L Skips 2.5 sec FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Finally got the answer from customer. Landrover found that it was the spark plugs. "THEY" must use lr plugs from lr. Something different about them?? They also replaced the fuel filter, don't know why, it was fairly new. Never seen a fuel filter cause a skip on one cyl. So, if anyone tunes one of these sad puppies up, I'd say use plugs from dealer? Funny thing is that we've put plugs in these vehicles before and NEVER had an issue
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

My 97 has had autolite plugs in it scince right after I bought it ( about the time you started this thread) and it has never missed a beat.....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Hmm maybe not the type of plugs but maybe it had carbon tracking or something so they sold a set?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

only time i've seen anything like this is when anti seize was used.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I almost exclusivly use autolites
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Never used anti-seize on plugs
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm stumped on this one. i use champion plugs on rovers. however, on a lot of other applications i use o.e.m. i'm wondering if there is an unpublished service bulletin recall on this issue and the dealer is double hitting and making you look like an idiot. i've seen this happen locally. i had a vehicle that was a head banger, the customer brought it to a local dealer, they repaired it and said i wasn't qualified enough to work on these new vehicles. lost a customer (for a while). a while later when i was talking to a g.m. tech i mentioned this and he said there was a recall on that particular issue and it had to do with brake fluid dripping on the p.c.m. i called the customer and asked if he could swing by the shop so i could take a quick look under the hood. i saw that the p.c.m. had been replaced and the added shield was installed. i asked if he had taken it back to the dealer since and he hadn't. by this time the update was published and i showed it to him. it was a recall. he had been charged 5 hours diagnostic time. the van had been purchased through an auction and the letter either never came or was thrown out. he was upset that he got charged for a recall and i got him back as a customer. i'm wondering if this fits here.......
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”