2001 Mercedes ML320 - Loses Power

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
gale
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2001 Mercedes ML320 - Loses Power

Post by gale »

Hello everybody,

We have the 2001 Mercedes Benz ML320, has happened twice know, will be driving, then it will just lose power and stall, sometimes if flutter the gas can keep running but has no power and won't go over 40km per/hr, when it stalls out it will start right away. Customer lives out of town and has the benz to a few places where it has broken down, it has new plugs/wires etc.. has a new fuel pump (replaced about a month 1/2 ago), Is on its second mass air flow sensor (after market). When it starts acting up the check engine light does not come on.

Any Ideas? we Don't do many Mercedes, not much info on them.

Gale
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Mercedes Benz ML320 - Loses Power

Post by steven kiser »

i've had a run of crank sensors failing. when a benz comes in with an intermittent driveability issue along these lines i replace the sensor. it's an inverted torx headed bolt, the sensor is located on the transmission side of the block, on the right side as your facing the vehicle. the first on i did i scanned everything while i test drove the heck out of it. finally the sensor scattered, found it through the snap shot program in my snappy scanner. now i just throw a sensor in these when they come in for a driveability issue. i explain to the customer if it's not the sensor now it's so common it will be soon.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
gale

Post by gale »

Thank you for your reply -- I suspect when the crank sensor gets hot is when it starts to fail, This customer drive on the hiway constantly, so we should drive it with the scanner hooked up and watch the levels for spiking

Gale
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

another quick tip here is on some models there are two different sensors used. as a rule i order both and return the one i don't use. like i said, remember it's an inverted torx bolt. the sensor isn't that expensive and on occasion i save money buy just replacing the sensor and letting the customer drive it on intermittent issues.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
gale

Post by gale »

Thank you,
The info was great, you are wonderful

Gale

Return to “Imports - Other”