1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 No Start

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 No Start

Post by nickscarcare »

1997 Eclipse 2.0 non turbo vin Y No start, cranks ok. Codes po351, p0352, occasionally p1389. I have no spark, the asd relay clicks, when I perform the asd relay test, on the black/red wire at the coil it switches from 0v to 1.5 volts, I am sure this is supposed to go to 12v. I ohm tested the wire from the asd relay to the ign coil and it is good, the voltage also switches at the harness going to the injectors the same as at the coil. Supposedly there is a bad wire somewhere, but I would think that with ohm testing it that would be ruled out. Any other ideas would be helpfull, I will get back to it in the am.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 No Start

Post by steven kiser »

ohm readings can be deceiving in these instances. you've read the continuity between all the sensors and pcm. what about the power feed to the p.c.m. i'm thinking the issue is the pcm or in the power distribution box.....
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Alright, I did find a bunch of corroded connections, but they didn't make a difference till I had the ASD relay out and back in a couple of times. It finally started, (knock on wood it stays that way). This car was brought to me by another shop, and the customer stopped in and let me know a little history on it. It was flooded in Calif. about 8 years ago, had the PCM replaced with a used one last summer by the shop that brought the car to me, they also diconnected the aftermarket alarm system last year supposedly because it was interfering (best thing they did!!!) Even when it would not start I did have batt voltage to pin 46 at pcm, had batt + at connector j/c4 pins 28, 29, 30. Had batt + at fuel pump, at pin 8 of asd relay, but only had 1.4v at pin 2 out of asd relay, I recommended replacing the asd relay thinking maybe something is up there, but customer declined since it now runs. After I was testing at the asd relay is when it started and keeps starting. I was going to test at pin 4 of asd relay which is power from pcm, but didn't get that far. Keep our fingers crossed!! I did go through and clean up a bunch of grounds also after it started just to help things out!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

light a prayer candle and hope the owner doesn't start bringing this time bomb to you. sprinkle it with holy water and hang a crucifix and garlic necklace from the rear view mirror. i've dealt with flood issues before and since it's been 8 years we know it's not salt water but this always brings a new curve ball to the game.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”