2005 Mazda 6 - 2.3L PCV Replacement

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

2005 Mazda 6 - 2.3L PCV Replacement

Post by ricmorin »

Anyone done one of these valves? It lives under the intake manifold and I see no way to access except intake removal. Book time is 2.7. For a PCV? Really? You're kidding, right? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2005 Mazda 6 2.3 PCV

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea man. If you can do it quicker than that please post it. Not a nice one. Must be one a those things that 100,000 mile things.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I dont remember doing one ever.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Well, we're doing a 120k service to this. The SA threw in a PCV along with the required plugs. Um...not happening for 1.4. LOL
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote:Well, we're doing a 120k service to this. The SA threw in a PCV along with the required plugs. Um...not happening for 1.4. LOL
Let me know how that works for ya!

I may have to send some a my difficult stuff yer way if your men are that good.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I did one in it looks like 2009 for 2 hours and the invoice shows not plenum gasket so Im not sure it was a 2005 6 I 4 door 2.3 L. Book shows 2.4 for pcv but looks like I only charged 2.0 for the whole tune-up? :oops:
steven kiser

Re: 2005 Mazda 6 - 2.3L PCV Replacement

Post by steven kiser »

nothing surprises me anymore. on this particular one there is no real trick.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

This is one of those jobs where its hard to explain to the average customer why the labor charge is what it is. I tell them I didn't make it neither did I break it. Here's what it is. It helps when I can physically take them to the vehicle and show them what we did. Even then, some customers will eye you somewhat cross eyed. Takes away that warm and fuzzy feeling you have of doing good business.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

you know it's going to be "looked" into. a visual tour is a good idea because you know that there is going to be some shop that will say "there is no way" it should cost that much basically because they have no frigging idea what they are talking about. when a customer say's "i don't believe it" i reply "neither do i, i can't understand why an engineer that's getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars does something like this. it shows no regard for a person that properly maintains their vehicle". i try to jump on their side not allow them to make it a me issue. saying "it's not my fault it's built this way" really doesn't keep you on your customers good side.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

well steve, your point of not being on the customers good side my saying it's not my fault it's made this way is perhaps true. However, it seems that some customers tend to lump the manufacturer and the repair shop in the same pile and I tend to object to that placement. Perhaps there might be a better method of putting the repair shop on the same side as the customer. I probably should consider that more.
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

There are a fair amount of newer Mazdas (not sure what year and models) that the "engineers" were kind enough to put a hole in the undercarraige cover, so the oil filter/cartridge could be accessed without removing the cover. Um, one little problem, it's about six to 10 inches away from said filter/cartridge. We ALWAYS bring the customer out, to show them.
John C.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea. Well said. Usually if a customer questions a charge that seems high, I will show him what we did and why we did what we did. Some understand, some cant understand, and the others do not want to understand. mechanics are ripoffs in their mind. But all things being said, I am very thankful for the good customers that trust me and they know that I usually try to have them understand during the job what's going on so that when they get the bill they do not get sticker shock.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

right now at this time of the day, since no one has pissed me off yet, i want to talk about customer relations and communication skills. i'll take this pcv as an example. i'de start with the fact that this service calls for a pcv replacement and the function of a pcv valve and the result of not replacing a bad valve. i'll add that unfortunately for some reason the mazda engineers put this valve in a location that needs to have a lot of things removed to get to. if this was easily assessable i would just replace it but since the time needed to replace it is extensive we need to talk about it. i don't say expensive. i want to keep it as a time point not a dollar issue if i can. i find that taking my time and allowing the customer to feel that they're part of the decision it's so much easier. if i tell them that it's just the way it is, don't blame me because the engineers did it this way, etc, it can turn a bit messy. they'll want to know all this unnecessary information etc. i tell them that there is a crew of engineers that are trained to place things in the best area to do the most good. i won't go into drool cups, pocket protectors, etc. i try to side with the customer as far as being upset that it's going to be so LABOR intensive. i'll say two hours, not two hundred dollars. the time figure is so much "nicer". i've found that spending time talking with customers even if i feel it's repetitive, unnecessary, or just a royal pain, eventually frees me up. after a while the need to stop, wash my hands and sit down and go over, and over, and over, the mechanical needs isn't necessary anymore. now, if after i speak at length about this pcv valve and the customer declines to have it replaced and they understand that if it becomes totally restricted it will blow the oil seals and the end result of that happening i tell them that i need to put a disclaimer on the work order stating that they understand all this and choose not to have it replaced. i try to look at it from their point of view and make them 100% responsible for making the decision. situations like this i never, never, just go ahead and do the work. they need to be totally informed of the what, if, and how.

Return to “Imports - Other”