1998 BMW 318i - Won't Start

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
prosnow

1998 BMW 318i - Won't Start

Post by prosnow »

I got this car in just yesterday, customer said it just stalled now it wont start. I scanned it got camshaft position sensor. Replaced the sensor and spark plugs but still not starting.... any way it could be crankshaft position sensor but just not registering?? any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1998 Bmw 318i wont start

Post by steven kiser »

ok, now i'm going out on a limb but you have fuel pressure and impulse, correct? since the sensor was replaced, again, i'm assuming you have no spark. the crank sensor ( i believe this one is on the left side of the block, rear.) will cause a no start. it's also called a engine speed reference sensor. did you test the lead to the cam shaft sensor for power and resistance. in the past i've run into wiring issues with beemers. don't know if this particular one has this but, if the harness breaks out of the bulkhead and comes across the top of the engine start there. look for ground issues. if the motor mounts are weak the harness may have been effected by the rocking of the engine much like the old pull tabs from the beer cans. they would eventually snap in 1/2 if bent back and forth enough. i've found on this particular harness (if this is the one) there will be more wires ready to break. another thing i ran into a few tines is the oil pressure switch starts to leak and pumps oil into the harness all the way to the main plug causing issues.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

if by the crankshaft sensor not showing am rpm reading and not being bad yes it could have a wireing issue between the sensor and the ecm. usually and with almost every crk circut if your getting comm. w/ecm and can read the datastream your seeing a delayed signale of what the controller is seeing. if youve got no engine speed on the datastream id ck the wireing between the sensor and the controller. first see if you have good grd, and reff. voltage at the sensor. good luck let us know how it goes 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
bmwtech01

Post by bmwtech01 »

If you still have this vehicle and it will not start after you may have tried everything. You may want to remove the crankshaft pulley and see if the rubber is ripped on the back side or if it falls off in two pieces. If you find this the car is not starting due to timing being off. The fix is a new crankshaft pulley.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 1998 BMW 318i - Won't Start

Post by fortknoxx »

does it have a timing belt?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Imports - Other”