1987 Mercedes 420SEL - Motor Install

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1987 Mercedes 420SEL - Motor Install

Post by Tim Martin »

When you think you seen it all, a new one shows up.

This fellow called, got my name from somewhere, has this 1987 Mercedes Benz 420SEL with a 4.2L V8 engine that he wants replaced. He says another shop began the job but the guy run off with some fer lady and thats as far as the MB engine change went. He is wondering what I will charge to finish the job. He has the engine. I would simply finish the engine install. First of all, he is asking if I will do the job. Then he wants a price and I got to stick to the price I give.

Men! I need advice on this one. I told him I'll get back to him. Talk to me! How do you handle this kind a job? Somebody is gonna get the job, an I don't mind working on a MB. But to jump in midstream?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1987 Mercedes Benz 420SEL - Motor Install

Post by steven kiser »

Walk over to your lift. Firmly grab one of the posts with both hands then start slamming your head against it. Since you've probably already thought of that i'll answer your question. Labor rate for a simple r&r is 9.8, this is if everything goes all right. Well since it's starting off bad i would start my quote at 18 plus any hunting i have to do for missing parts. I would specify that even at this rate it is going to take as long as necessary, no shorter, no longer. Customer supplied parts are always questionable. I've installed engines that were customer supplied only to find that they were laying on their side for a long time and sounded like a Panzer Tank when started. There is a chance you'll be a hero but only a slim one. If this person wanted me to prioritize this job i would want a grand up front and when it showed up on the wrecker i would want the owner there for a walk around and i would have a cam corder to make note of any damage, missing parts, etc. Explain to the customer it's not a him issue, it's a direct result of how the vehicle was handled prior to arriving at your shop. I know that this all sounds extreme but, and i'll repeat the but, this potential customer has already been mmmm, ruffled a bit and may be looking for a *. In some situations like this no matter how it turns out there may be a bit of animosity floating around in his head. I know i'm really babbling here but say for example he claims that the drivers mirror isn't working after the job is done and you don't have him on video accepting the fact that there is no possible way of knowing any of this before you start the work it can become sticky.

You're bailing this guy out but he's pissed at the other shop. Don't be surprised if he tries to play hard ball to protect himself. Tell him (i've done it) that you're just as upset that he got screwed by someone in your chosen field, even if it's simply because the person didn't follow through with what he promised, you're not going to be a whipping post. You're on his side but it's going to cost him. All this reminds me of the lady that had her car to three other other shops before it came to mine, i repaired it and she thought my price was way out of line since she had already paid other shops to repair it before.......................... :shock:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

persoally i would not take on such a job mainly due to the fact i have never done heavy line on a 1987 sel.
of course this is a personal thing if it were a chrysler,dodge, or jeep, or even any domestic i would be all over it.
i have done so many of them over the years i feel i can almost do it in my sleep.

a couple of things that have helped me in the past is access to a vehical of the same make and model.
yea i know it sounds kinda shadetree but when you have never worked on a specific car it will help greatly.
to have one just like it at the ready to copy from. as far as the time goes steven is right on.
ive had chrsler products and a viper once that were litterally in a pile on the floor when i got them.
trust me the time it will take you to reassemble from scratch is doubled. even when you know the product.

also beware of customer supplied parts, you do the job there engine fails. your on the hook.
make the warranty part of the repair very clear. i would go as far as to have them sign off on it for what good it will do. good luck and let us know how it turns out :) :) :)
perfection-automotive.net
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I do not consider myself all that good but we have several jobs similar to this where the vehicle came to us in several pieces and we put it together. My concern is the time factor. And you two guys are coming close to the hour numbers I was considering.

I suppose what I will do is quote him for labor only. Any parts and or materials used are extra. And as we all know, we hope the used engine he has is good.
exwilmad

Post by exwilmad »

yea i think u made a good choice with the charging of all extra parts, hehe and yea , good luck with the engine :)
A Mercedes will always be a piece of history - Mercedes Bellevue, Seattle Mercedes
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Id take book time and at least double it or tell him id charge based off time taken since its an unknown on what you will find. But then again I would prolly take it sounds like a headache to me. I dotn know what id do to be honest ooff

Return to “Imports - Other”