2005 Saab 9-3 - 2.0L P0101

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2005 Saab 9-3 - 2.0L P0101

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a customer who has this car VIN YS3FB49S651052355, if someone with a VIN decoder could tell me if it is a Linear or what that would be great also. They had a code P0101, the only thing I found at this time that I could see was the air inlet tube after the MAF was loose, somone didn't tighten the clamp. I checked, cleared codes, and test drove, and MAF is changing. Mitchell doesn't have much for testing, or I am not looking in the right spot, I have not had alot of expierience working on a Saab, any help would be great.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: 2005 Saab 9-3 - 2.0L P0101

Post by timbre4 »

It decodes as a 9-3 Linear model, VIN S 2.0L turbo.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Saabs are a bit tough. I eventually had to purchase a Saab card for my tech 2. I've found a lot if issues with road contamination from improper filters, over oiled K&N filters, and ripped or damaged air boxes. Cleaning the heck out of the air sensor works occasionally. I've cleaned them and test drove the car only to have the code trigger a week or two later.

Check Engine (OBDII, EOBD).
Cruise control not working.
Limp home
Possible driveability problem.
On-board diagnosis

Type of diagnosis:

Continuous
Enable criteria:

Battery voltage must be between 11 - 16 V .
Vehicle speed above 30 km/h for more than 60 s accumulated time.
Coolant temperature between 71 degree C and 115 degree C .
Engine speed between 1400 and 4000 rpm .
No fuel shut-off.
Air mass 7 - 20 g/s .
Fault criteria:

Conditions for test 1, 2, 3 or 4 are fulfilled.
Test 1

The mass air flow sensor shows a value 12% lower than the calculated one while multiplicative adaptation is greater than 17%.
Test 2

The mass air flow sensor shows a value 12% higher than the calculated one while multiplicative adaptation is less than -17%. Test 3
The mass air flow sensor shows a value 30% lower than the calculated one.
Test 4

The mass air flow sensor shows a value 30% higher than the calculated one.
Dependent:
P0107, P0108
P0112, P0113
P0237, P0238

System reaction to a fault:

The system continues to function with a calculated air mass instead of the value from the mass air flow sensor.
Boost pressure adaption is blocked and reset.
Limited acceleration and idle function.
Cruise control blocked.
Secondary air pump not active, if fitted.
OK report:

Diagnosis completed without fault report.
Fault handling:
Type III
(See section Fault handling III, "Other emission-related components and functions" for more information.)

Checking the wiring harness

Move the wiring harness at several spots and in several directions to reveal intermittent breaks and short-circuits. Check switches, connectors and crimp connections for oxidation, retracted pins and pin clamping force.
Diagnostic help

Diagnosis regards:

The DTC indicates that the value from the mass air flow sensor has been deemed unreliable after comparison with a calculated value. This could be due to an air leak or a faulty mass air flow sensor.
The air mass signal is compared to a calculated value under light, normal and continuous engine loads. The calculated value is derived from the pressures given by the pressure sensors in the intake system.
First check the integrity of the intake system. Then continue with fault diagnosis.
If DTC P0171 or P0172 is stored, it is cleared by P0101.
Functions in the diagnostic tool related to the fault:

Test value:

Air Mass
Airmass / Combustion
Airmass / Combustion Calculated (See also description of readings/activations in diagnostic tool)
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Thanks Tim, my guess was the Linear. So Steve with my Modis am I just better off sending them out the door to another shop. It is coming back Wednesday. I suppose I can smoke test the intake system, and check for other air leaks. I didn't think saabs were that bad but maybe they are like working on a b-mer of a mercededs.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

There was a time that i felt saabs were a bear to diagnose. Without the proper scan tool any car is. Being around for a while has given me that ability to accumulate a few vehicle specific dealer scanners. The saab card for my tech 2 opened the door for deeper diagnostics and repairs.

The clamp being loose would allow un clean air to flow through the sensor. Like i said I've had little or no luck cleaning the sensor. I'll clean them if i find a collapsed filter or loose clamp but I've traveled the road of "cleaning the sensor reed can resolve the issue". To many unhappy customers returning for a replacement. Most of my customers are fix it so i don't have to return. In my mind the fact that the clamp was loose would justify my replacing the sensor. You said that the code was cleared, did it return? With a saab as well as other vehicles i strongly suggest not assuming it's the same code. It probably is but I've seen more than a few check engine light issues being other than what it originally came in for. There are a few instances where other sensors may not test because of a prior fail.

I have a nagging thought of a parameter re-program. i'll look into it and get back to you.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Ok came back with code P0101. Scanner shows maf switching. Read voltage at green wire at sensor and it reads 2.6v even if I rev the engine and hold it at 3,000 rpm, or at an idle. The scanner shows the g/s are going from around 3 at an idle to 11 at 3,000 rpm. How do you do the parameter reprogram, is that a dealer only deal or proper scan equip.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Trying to put this into perspective here. If there is an update to widen the parameter i believe with saab you need to take it to the dealer. With some manufacturers you can purchase the program on line but you need the proper scanner to read and install it. I've never reprogrammed saabs with my tech 2 changing parameters but i've been able to make the pcm accept new modules. Did my best to make that last sentence make sense. I'm fairly lucky, my shop is in an area where i'm close enough to be able to send my wife or daughter to a dealer to have programming services done on any of the vehicles we work on.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well I told them to try a different shop, I think the only one around that may have the equipment. The last shop they were taking the car to said we no longer work on Saab. We have a guy who works on European cars about 10 miles away, and he don't care to work on Saab. They said they are happy and hopefully will let me know what the problem was. I am thinking it was the MAF sensor, but don't like to guess.

507-345-6425

Return to “Imports - Other”