2004 Hyundai Sonata - 2.4L Front Balance Shaft Timing

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
nokomisauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 Hyundai Sonata - 2.4L Front Balance Shaft Timing

Post by nokomisauto »

2004 Hyundai Sonata dohc 2.4L

We did a valve job and new timming belts aligned all markes by repair manul and gave back to owner and can back for vibration and loud noise retime front shaft and 8mm x60mm bolt to align front balance shaft and replace tensor with new tensor gave back to owner can back again with save problem i have alot of time in this and I look at tech tips and looking for fix.

Thank you
Ray
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 Hyundai Sonata - 2.4L Front Balance Shaft Timing

Post by steven kiser »

Ray
The screw driver isn't to align the shaft, it's for locking it so it can be tightened. There is a mark on the gear. If it idles smooth without a vibration it may not be the shaft at all. You say you did a valve job, was this because the belt snapped and pistons hit the valves? I can't say much about the newer Hyundai's but when there was a dealer local to my shop years ago my area was flooded with these little beasts. There were more than a few but less than many that had piston damage that dictated replacement because of damage from valves. I had one that when i pulled the pistons to replace then a connecting rod was noticeably bent. The dealer stocked belt kits that included pistons and thicker head gaskets if the head needed to be machines. If the head was warped it should have been thrown into recycling. You could be dealing with a cam shaft binding. I would allow maybe 3 thousandths of warpage and never had one planed. I would clean and install, go against everything i was taught and on occasion use perma tex aviation cement on the head gasket unless i was able to purchase an updated thicker gasket.

I loved repairing these. The first was a bit time consuming but after we did a few we had them down to about 6 hours, charged about 400 less than the dealer and still made a killing.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Re: 2004 Hyundai Sonata - 2.4L Front Balance Shaft Timing

Post by jbadenoch »

Maybe the vibe was pre-existing and it may not be belt related.Was the vehicle running when it came in, or was it like Steve said with a broke belt? Does it vibe thru the rpm scale, eng loaded or not? Same vibe in rev as dr?

Return to “Imports - Other”