2004 Mazda RX8 - DTC PO610

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
LB
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 Mazda RX8 - DTC PO610

Post by LB »

Hi,
Hope everyone is having an awesome day :)

We had a customer come in with a 2004 Mazda RX8 with a dtc 0610. Customer has been previously to Mazda dealership a few times, had computer reflashed, engine has been changed @ Mazda. This code continues to come up. Could this be a possible PCM issue? (this is the customers first visit to us)

any thought or suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thank you
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 Mazda RX8 - DTC PO610

Post by steven kiser »

I'm reading about a pcm configuration or replacement. I didn't see anything about a re flash. I did see a little blurb about an issue with the pcm retaining the old engines ratio reading causing a few issues and the relearn procedure that may or may not work leading to a possible pcm replacement.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
LB
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by LB »

HI,
thank you for reply, the dealership has tried a reflash, i just wanted to list some of the things that we are aware of being done prior to coming into us. Customer has also had it to an import shop, and he was recommended that he bring it to us by a friend. but as with the other shops it's been to, we are just as stumped..
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I'm thinking that the re-flash may not solve the pcm issue. What i'm reading is if something from the old engine is imbedded it may not re learn. There are a few postings that are real strong in the fact of the pcm learning and balancing and not being able to be cleared and re learned.

I learned this on chrystlers. A few years ago there were issues where there was cross contamination between the pcm and bcm as well as remans retaining old information even after scrubbing and reprogramming. We had a good number of customer that had town and country vans and it was real scary when there was a pcm issue. I don't know if chrystler was having stoners rebuild their pcm's or not but anytime i installed one a prayer candle was installed. I had ones that didn't have security systems in them suddenly think they did and other weird things. It was messy. Try explaining to a customer that it needed a pcm and you couldn't guarantee the new one would be any better.

Like i said, i've read a re flash may not resolve the issue. It's an imbedded program that (as far as i can tell) is unique to each engine.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote: I don't know if chrystler was having stoners rebuild their pcm's or not
:(
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
kristagail

Post by kristagail »

Mazda RX-8 is a good sports car, being the only car in Mazda’s lineup that currently employs the rotary engine. But I heard that the the car is going out of production this year, along with the Renesis rotary engine that powers it. All production of the RX-8 will cease as of June, according to Automobile magazine, but Mazda has decided to give the car a proper send-off with a special edition, called the Sprint R. Article source: Mazda RX-8 Sprint R gives model slight stay of execution

Return to “Imports - Other”