2000 Mazda B2500 - No Start

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
DansAuto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2000 Mazda B2500 - No Start

Post by DansAuto »

I have got a 2000 mazda b2500 and it will not start.

It is firing out of the coils and the plugs looks fine. it has fuel pressure and the injectors is pulsing it acts like its out of time but its not i have the triangle to triangle on cam gear and diamond to diamond on oil pump gear im at top dead center on number 1 piston. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor it hits very hard strokes.

Can anyone help?
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: 2000 Mazda B2500 no start

Post by brother bubba »

Have you run compression all the way down the line ??? Seen a broken camshaft cause a problem like that.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I've also seen cam gears spin on shafts. :shock:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

THE COMPRESSION IS 170,170,165,165 AND THE CAM GEAR HAS NOT TURNED EITHER, NOR DID THE OIL PUMP GEAR
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

So it sounds like you have everything needed to fire. You confirmed mechanical timing. How about spark timing? Is the fire happening when it should? You said it had fuel pressure. I assume it's the correct pressure? Have we scoped the cam, crank and ignition pulse so we can see their correlation? Is this the 8 plug motor? If so, have you confirmed spark on all plugs?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Are you sure that it is pumping good gas and not some other fluid? Been there, done that......
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Couldn't agree more with lil joe. Spray either into throttle and see what happens. Another thing is drop the front pipe. I've had Hundreds of plugged cat's or collapsed exhaust systems and only one that wouldn't start. But one counts.

What's the history on this one. What was done to it in the days prior. Did the owner or driver just fill it up? Remember now, we have to play Kojak because something may have been done someone is embarrassed to admit.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
DansAuto

Re: 2000 Mazda B2500 - No Start

Post by DansAuto »

Does have good fuel pressure and have already dropped exhaust but I did find a code on scanner under GEM/CTM that was B1359 Ign. run/accessory circuit malfunction but can not find any info on that code. Also we put new fuel in tank. It has 65 psi of fuel pressure.

The customer said he bought the vehicle like this and he was told that the timing belt broke and they replaced it but has never ran since.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

The plot thickens here. Does it fire if either is sprayed into the air intake?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brother bubba

Post by brother bubba »

DansAuto wrote:Does have good fuel pressure and have already dropped exhaust but I did find a code on scanner under GEM/CTM that was B1359 Ign. run/accessory circuit malfunction but can not find any info on that code. Also we put new fuel in tank. It has 65 psi of fuel pressure.

The customer said he bought the vehicle like this and he was told that the timing belt broke and they replaced it but has never ran since.
... If the timing belt "broke" I would definately pull the valve cover for a look at the cam. The compression readings are not conclusive.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

Cam looks good not cracked or broke....when i try to crank it holding gas pedal to floor it hits hard strokes and when it tries to crank it backfires through intake.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Check the timing marks. You can be off enough not to start but have compression. I believe there are different marks on the pulleys for different applications.
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

Timing has been checked multiple times due to that's what it seems to act like timing is off but its dead up and right to the mark.
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Had one of these(can't remember the year) at a buddy's shop that he was having simmular problems out of. Wound up that at some point in the life of the engine the top(cam ) pulley had been changed and the cam, even though the gears were in time, was out of time. Pulled valve cover and set cam so lobes were sitting where I envisioned them being ( the center line between lobes pointing at 12 0'clock) and truck started and ran like a new one....
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Ok, lets start from scratch. Vehicle is driving along and "wham" belt brakes. Towed to garage or some pimple faced kid that's banging the owners neighbors daughters twin daughters. Either way we really don't know, no matter where it went if these people knew what was going on now do we.

Any time and i mean any time i get a situation like this i start from scratch. I don't mean just look and go i mean i tear it right down to bare bones. In the past i've seen key ways missing and gears way out of time on the shaft not by the mark. It appears that you've been very precise and thorough but in one of your descriptions you mentioned "If you hold the gas pedal to the floor it hits very hard strokes". It gives all impression of a timing issue. I've seen the plug wires reversed on the coils, this will cause a timing delay as well.

If i sound like i'm preaching, i'm not. If i sound condescending, i'm not. And i'm not passing judgment. I would pull the balancing shaft gear and the cam gear to inspect the "key" issue. If this looks good look at the coils. I would pull the crank sensor and see if it's broken at the base. I would pull #1 plug and when it's at the top see where the cam lobes are situated. If this had a distributor it may time off of #4. When i get a few minutes i'm going to dig out my motors book and take a look. There is a thought trying to push through about The year before or after being different belt lengths. Just a point here, and again i'm not trying to be snotty but the cam key isn't the "Q" point. It should be at 12 o'clock and the pointer is off to the right. I'm sure if it was brought to you before anyone else got to it the prior owner would still be driving it.
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

Yayyyyyy.....fixed!!!! It was teeth off on balancer....replaced balancer and fired right up. When timing belt broke it spun ring on balancer.

Thanks everyone for all the help and support!!!!!! :D
brother bubba

Post by brother bubba »

DansAuto wrote:Yayyyyyy.....fixed!!!! It was teeth off on balancer....replaced balancer and fired right up. When timing belt broke it spun ring on balancer.

Thanks everyone for all the help and support!!!!!! :D

That's a new one on me, but I'll be the first to admit I aint seen it all. Congrats !!!

liljoe

Post by liljoe »

herd of that on a 4.0 one time, but not this engine. good work.....

Return to “Imports - Other”