1992 BMW 325is - Crank But No Start

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
premierautohandling

1992 BMW 325is - Crank But No Start

Post by premierautohandling »

Customer informed that starter went out.

My own diagnostic confirmed. Replaced starter, but car still won't start. It cranks with fuel pressure in spec. Double checked cam and crank sensor resistance and voltage, all checked out fine. Had a weak battery and a Code 26 - ECU Battery Voltage. Installed good battery, but still crank and no start.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by premierautohandling on Fri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Abbott, Owner
Premier Auto Handling, LLC
Colorado Springs, CO 80922
david@premierautohandling.com
http://www.premierautohandling.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1992 BMW 326is - Crank But No Start

Post by steven kiser »

Did starter fail because of over cranking because it wouldn't start? Do the cables on the battery of power posts look like they have an arc burn? I would look at all the fuses in the vehicle. I believe there are 3 power boxes.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
premierautohandling

Re: 1992 BMW 325is - Crank But No Start

Battery cables clamps are clean, all fuses are ok. Starter fail was not a result to over cranking, as far as I and customer are aware of.
Last edited by premierautohandling on Fri May 25, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Abbott, Owner
steven kiser

Re: 1992 BMW 326is - Crank But No Start

Post by steven kiser »

With the information offered it appears the car wouldn't crank over so a starter was installed. It now cranks over but will not start. Cranked slow so a battery was installed. Good fuel pressure and crank and cam sensor ohmed out. Do you have spark or impulse at injector? By the way there is no 326is listed in my diagnostics so i looked into a 325is. Any history on this? Was it stored for a period of time then no start? I can't say for sure if there are any secondary feed wires on the starter, but if there are possibly one not put back on.

I've experienced situations where the vehicle was so flooded it wouldn't start. Possibly a security issue or a kill switch. I've had situations where a customer neglected to tell me he had a kill switch and after two hours of diagnostics found it and flipped it and the vehicle started. Customer was a bit upset it cost him 200 bucks but he didn't tell me and i had to find it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
premierautohandling

Correct on the model number---typo. It is a 325is.
Last edited by premierautohandling on Fri May 25, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Abbott, Owner
premierautohandling

In checking for voltage to coils and from coils to plugs, what is the correct voltage? Resistance for coils are in specification. My system does not give me what the voltage shold be like it does for resistance. Any body know?
David Abbott, Owner
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

Has anyone hooked up a scanner to see if the computer see the cranking RPM ? Also a Noid lightn on the fuel injetor might tell you if the compter is sending fuel to the ports.. and then you could hold a coil in one hand and spin the engine and see if you can take voltage. After you see if the engine has compression!
Actualy I don't recomend the coil test that way! You could hook up a spark tester and spin the engine and see the flash! that is the recomeneded way!
If they don't know how can they fix it!

Return to “Imports - Other”