2010 Kia Optima - Lunges When Braking?

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
MarionB2BAuto
100 Club: Active Contributor

2010 Kia Optima - Lunges When Braking?

Post by MarionB2BAuto »

I will try to get more information soon. Ex wife has a 2010 Optima that she says "lunges" when she is braking. I have checked bulletins and recalls. I don't have the car here but told her I would ask around.

Edit:
per her message: "Hard kick when it does it, no lights on (warning lights) almost any speed, when braking at a stop light or stop sign, sometimes when slowing down, but then kick is minimal."

She is not a tech, but used to work for Chevrolet as a service writer, so she does know a little about cars. Her thought is it may be suspension or brakes related (ABS maybe) but does NOT feel it in pedal.
8 Years USMC as M-60 tank Tech, M-1 Abrams tank Tech, Hull and Turret certified
20 Years with General Motors
15 years With GM as an ASEP Technician Trainer/Mentor
20 Years ASE Master recertified Technician
L1 Recertified
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2010 Kia Optima - Lunges When Braking?

Post by steven kiser »

You actually want to repair a failing braking system in your ex wifes car. I know many men or women for that matter that would pay big big money for a failing brake system in their ex's cars :lol: :lol: . Had to say it, and i know i'm not the only one, i just said it instead of thinking it.

I'm not sure here but if it's an automatic when you step on the brake pedal it kicks it out of overdrive. On these rice rockets it will feel like you hit a wind gust head on. Again, i don't have many of these i work on since they have a 100k warranty and all of my customers get tired of it being at the dealer so much they get rid if it and drive something else.

If it were in my shop i would put my scanner on it and watch the shift command or any time i think it's a situation like this i unplug the brake light switch and drive it. If the issue goes away it's the over drive issue. They're supposed to slide out at about 30mph not drop out at 65 mph. :lol: :lol: sorry, i was just thinking of the look of shock if it happened at 70mph. It would feel like the rubber band reached it's maxim stretch point.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
MarionB2BAuto

Re: 2010 Kia Optima - Lunges When Braking?

Post by MarionB2BAuto »

I will talk to her about the brake switch to see if that is the problem. Yeah, I get a lot of jokes about the ex. The split was hard, but we have actually become friends. I still cant see her with her new husband (she lives in Texas, I live in Alabama), but we still talk and all. 13 years and 2 kids, you cant just break it off totally. We even play online video games together. lol.
8 Years USMC as M-60 tank Tech, M-1 Abrams tank Tech, Hull and Turret certified
20 Years with General Motors
15 years With GM as an ASEP Technician Trainer/Mentor
20 Years ASE Master recertified Technician
L1 Recertified

Return to “Imports - Other”