One Shop Recounts The Benefits Of Tech Support

Manager SE specific technical issues
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

One Shop Recounts The Benefits Of Tech Support

Post by steven kiser »

I totally agree with the great diversity within the forum but let's not forget the great people that work behind the scenes to keep it running. I had a huge crash monday and my systems all turned into etch-a-sketches. My lead tech called mitchell support and they spent well over two hours using the remote access repairing all of my stations. Yes, I pay a monthly fee and have on occasion questioned whether I could cut overhead and purchase the program outright. I gotta say, when it crashes it's worth every dime. The support had the patience of Jobe. My hat's off to them.

All I can do when something happens is to either reboot or swear. I swear a lot. Again thanks to the support group. When my system came back on line it worked better than it had for a while. I had a well known company come in and clean my systems and was impressed. My systems work better (by far) since Monday. Can't say enough! Very, very happy. :D :D
Last edited by steven kiser on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
gatorgirl
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: One Shop Recounts The Benefits Of Tech Support

Post by gatorgirl »

That's what I'm afraid will happen if ours ever crashes. Mike owns his software. We don't have that same technical support you get when you lease.
Angie LaPrime AKA Gatorgirl
Valuable Indispensable Dedicated Employee :)
http://www.myspace.com/gatorgirl013
http://www.facebook.com (search Angie Richard LaPrime)
WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES!!
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

amwade3715 wrote:That's what I'm afraid will happen if ours ever crashes. Mike owns his software. We don't have that same technical support you get when you lease.
I have owned and lease my software....Never seen any difference in the technical support. It has always been spectacular.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
gatorgirl

Post by gatorgirl »

I guess I should have been a little more specific. We own ours but haven't bought any updates for a while now. (That is out of my control...sorry) I believe in updates. Anyways, when I ran into a problem awhile back with our "out of date program", tech support of course wasn't very much help. So! If you own your software, make sure you keep it updated. :D
Angie LaPrime AKA Gatorgirl
Valuable Indispensable Dedicated Employee :)
http://www.myspace.com/gatorgirl013
http://www.facebook.com (search Angie Richard LaPrime)
WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES!!
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I have never had any problem with tech. I do lease. As Steve stated it always works better after a remote connect. That is why I went with Mitchell and dropped All..ta.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Angie brings up a important point and it's important to be aware. Things change periodically, and as it is now we no longer provide technical support to owned-expired customers. This forum and the quick answers become the only resources available outside of an active subscription.
M1 Product Manager
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I once let my Owned subscription laspe due to oversite on my part. Then I found out there is tech suport available to you ...but it was on a pay basis.... I had to pay by the minute...needless to say i was shocked but all in all they did a goood job ....fixed my problem fast so it was too bad. So the help was there but it cost $$. Ever since I make sure I keep it up to date.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i have a huge problem of letting monthly payments lapse. i just set them aside to pay and then move them again while looking for something and then they're in the "where did i put them area?". i called all my monthly payment systems and added them to my automatic cc payment. it saves me from late fees and adds to my air miles. it was such a simple answer and the only regret was i didn't do it earlier.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Qbasic8
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Qbasic8 »

We lease and we have always had prompt technical service when required. Got blown off the phone a few times and I resolved the issue myself (Windows Vista Security Shares, etc..) but all in all I can't complain.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

We had "just" some issues. I know typical customer, ok so maybe it was a couple of months......I called the tech Gods and they got into my system. They worked on the system and used a back up we had to restore things. Well, it lasted for a few hours. They again got into the system and worked some more. They came up with the idea the issue was in the system and not their programming. We called one of the techs dads, he's a local IT guy at the collage. He came in ran some things and found a few viruses and worms and things that are creepie crawly. And now the system is great. had I done that with the previous system we were using i would have been in the dark, right from the start. Seldom have we had to call tech support, but honestly I can't imagine finding better people if you need them.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Qbasic8

Post by Qbasic8 »

I have to say them being able to access your system directly decreasing customer anxiety, and increases the productivity of their IT guys. Instead of trying to relay information, they can just see the problem & fix it; instead of the dreaded conversation "Click. Ok. What does it say now?" :)
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've posted many times about my computer savvy. imagine the frustration of the tech support after they would say something like,"hold delete, press control, scroll down to manager, click on files, open control and click on monitor, what does it say?" "oh, were you talking to me?" now it's just "step away from the key board" probably by now my picture is off the most hated wall......................... :lol: i have a company that does my crm. it's all done remote. this mos they forgot to call me and give me a heads up. i was walking by the computer and saw the mouse arrow moving around. i thought i was being hijacked. well i showed them. i unplugged my computer. :shock: it took a while but things are better now. the compute geek squad was called. it was a bit wierd, the guy was about 5'5" and maybe 145. i'm 6'3" 285. he was working on my system and i could here him mumbling away about this and that and how he couldn't believe this or that and yadda, yadda, yadda. i walked up to the desk and asked "what's the problem". he started stuttering a bit and i said "i know i'm an idiot when it comes to this thing and i'm asking what's the problem with the machine not what's you problem with me. i know i'm a computer dope and it's no secret. you can tell me i'm a computer idiot." he had a good laugh and gave me his phone number so i can get him when i call his company for support. i'm just glad i haven't run into one of those av or computer geeks that i would lock in gym lockers when i was in high school. those guys had bulls eyes on their backs. when i would hear the wheels on the projector cart rattling in the hall way i would start squirming and couldn't wait for the bell. it was a time game. the av guys would get out of class 5 minutes early so they could get from class to class. the halls were theirs and they better be fast because as soon as that bell rang it was like the first morning of deer season. when the bell rang you could hear the clatter of the wheels increase and you knew the prey was on the run. :lol: :lol: :lol: those years helped to hone my tracking abilities. on occasion they'd go to tree between classes. we knew they didn't make it to their destination and were waiting until we went to our next class. they stopped so the wheels wouldn't make a noise. the game was on........the teachers got involved as well. the ones that were coaches were on our side while the teachers that were geeks themselves would help the jv guys.
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

14 years of school and I now understand what a metaphor is. Thanks!
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thursday night, 5:15pm. My WIP goes away. I reboot, and then I do a "Steve" I speak each swear word I know, heck I even said them in Spanish. And I rebooted again. Nothing. I shut it down for the night, shortly after the boss says the server lost it's WIP screen. I laugh and talk like the IT guys. I ask him "did you reboot?". I hoped it would work. It didn't. He's just as good at throwing in the towel as I am, so he shut his down and we went home. I got here the next morning and found out the time Tech Support was open and called them soon after they awoke. I got ahold of some poor soul named Simon, He had a weird last name...something like 4857235, Who woulda thought. So he talks me into looking at somethings....then It was as if we were on our first date and he shylie asked if I minded if he got into the system? Minded? H-e- double toothepick NO, I was praying he'd ask. I did the normal go to http://www.ihate computersandcrashedmineandneedyourhelp.com. He got in and looked around. i will say I am happy Simon is not my doctor! He poked and looked around,, hmmmmmmm....ahhhhhhhh........Oh my......... I heard another voice join in. and that made me feel almost glowing. Kind like "HA, got ya, no stupid re-boot is gonna fix this one!" I felt that Simon was doing so good, I sent a PM to JD. Later it was rumored that JD stopped by at Simons desk and "looked in", I think he was just wondering how bad I.......screwed it up. :lol: Simon was into the system from about 830 untill noonish. When I hung up I was called the "pioneer", no one had screwed it up as bad as I had! 8) . They needed to down load something and in about a week my system could maybe if the tide was right and the left coast didnt fall into the ocean...be back up and running. Needless to say I wanted to go home and drink. Simon and I swapped numbers and off to lunch I went. At about 110 he called and said the download was in Cali and they'd start the healing. I could see Simon and JD with Daiseys in their hair singing around my data. I went back to work, my BP was high enough I could feel my pulse in my eyes. The people here have no clue what was going on, and what was going to have to happen. Simon gave me a huge idea about switching back to the 5.9 system for now. then when 6.3 is back hand enter everything. I was almost to the point i had what i needed from 6.3 into 5.9 and my phone rang. It was the Gods of Mitchell calling. They had found my issue, had it fixed and wanted back into my system. I had the site back up and Simon was into the system and we were back up and 'walking" It took another hour or two to get the stuff that was in 6.3 that went to 5.9 back into 6.3, (sorry I did that for Steve, he's cussing at me now!) But we are up and running. I can't figure out how it got fixed that quick. I did threaten to fly to Califorinia and Kiss him. He doesn't know me very well, i was SOO releaved the system was up I'd do it.

So Kudos to Simon, and anyone else that peeked at my "data" and got us running. My BP is back to normal.

You folks ROCK.
Thanks Again
Rich
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Qbasic8

Post by Qbasic8 »

I'm going to be honest here. I love hearing stories from botched IT Guys. Especially when somebody is trying to sound like they know what is going on when they have no freaking clue and their actions show it. I mean we get the same thing in the automotive field. Ever have a tech say something rediculous on how a system works in hopes that people doesn't realize he is clueless? I've only ever had one bad Tech convo with Mitchells in which he absoloutely would not get off the fact that my hard drive was out of room and that was causing the issue. Even though I had over 130 gigs free and the error message was for "UNC - Universal naming convention" which is network related (how you map drives to a server). I tried to explain that to him for over 30 minutes but he insisted I clear more hard drive space and call back when I have done so. But besides that they have been pretty quick about fixing any issues I have with Manager.

Although the sales reps are a different story. lol. What I mean is he is always quick to drive down here anytime we have a problem (when we do a new install, as I end up doing the installation anyhow - we just required his diskette for the security code). But he is a sales person, not a computer geek so that is acceptable. :)
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

again kudos to the people behind the scenes. my mother computer seized up tighter than a bull a** in fly season. called computer person my book keeper highly recommended and was thrilled with their response. they mentioned a few times that they were impressed with mitchell tech support in helping them transfer the necessary programs to my other computer to get me up and running. they said because of the way mitchell responded so quickly it saved me hours of labor time on their end. thanks again.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea steve, I can also agree with the tremendous help tech support has been for my shop. I am greatly indebted to Mitchell1 for a great product and great service after the sale.

Thanks Mitchell1 Team!
MURRI513
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by MURRI513 »

Many thanks to Tech Support. We were flooded out in Hurricane Ida. with more then 6 ft. of water in the shop. I back up faithfully every day, however my external drive was next to my terminal. Once we got internet and a new computer, Mitchell was able to download my database up to our last day of normal business before the storm. This saved us a lot of time, with money on the street & with no way to collect and an inventory number to give the insurance company.
Marie O'Brien
Giant Fleet Service

Return to “Technical Issues”