2002 Nissan Maxima SE - No Heat At Idle

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

2002 Nissan Maxima SE - No Heat At Idle

Post by John C. »

"No heat at idle, turns ice cold. Radiator low, added one quart. Filled and bled system. Plenty of heat while driving, coolant gauge normal".

(The above is in quotations, because tech wrote it down for me, as we have often had "communication" issues when I've posted in this thread.)
John C.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE - No Heat At Idle

Post by liljoe »

I would check the water pump flow. If the coolant was low for long, it will cavitate and can wreck the impeller on the pump, also I would like to know where the quart of coolant went if I were working on it. The resivore was probabl;y empty too, which makes it equal more that a quart of coolant.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

John C. wrote:"No heat at idle, turns ice cold. Radiator low, added one quart. Filled and bled system. Plenty of heat while driving, coolant gauge normal".

(The above is in quotations, because tech wrote it down for me, as we have often had "communication" issues when I've posted in this thread.)

it's been a while but if i recall correctly you have to darn near stand this on it's rear bumper to bleed the system. joe's correct on "where did the coolant go" aspect of the job. i strongly suggest finding the leak or this will come back for the same problem. a restricted heater core or control valve will cause this issue. getting back to properly bleeding the system, if it's not done correctly an air pocket will form in the heater core. jack the front f the car up and bleed it completely. i've had great success using the lisle cooling system filling
funnel to assist bleeding the system. it holds the coolant level high enough to easily bleed. the other tool i use is a vacuum fill. the tool allows you to pull and hold a vacuum then fill the system with coolant by placing a hose in a pail of coolant and releasing the vacuum. it's never failed me yet.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

Sorry (this is John C., not Mark F. typing here, I'm on his computer). Anyway, this past summer the car overheated, we (techs) told him it had a bad head gasket, and that he should get rid of it. Customer wants to keep the car because he thinks it's a "chick magnet". So, all we are trying to do is keep his "chick magnet" running as long as possible, because he does not want to put "lotz of money into it".

We know that it was properly bled, and is full. Also, flushed the heater core, seemed to be no restrictions. It takes about two months for it to go down ~1 quart.

Basically, we know what the deal is, but we're wondering if we possibly missed something?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Just check the flow. I have a couple of clear tubes that I install and can watch the coolant move. Maybe gas bubbles from the bad head gasket are ending up in the core?

Chick magnet? Um....
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Sounds like ya'll found the real problem with the car and the real problem lies in the customer that expects us to be able to do miricals on cars and fix any problem for no money. Sometimes that is just not the case. Wouldn't really want to see the chicks that are magnatized by a maxima :lol:
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

even a small amount of air will mess up the flow through the heater core. at an idle see if both heater hoses cool off. if one is hot and the other cool the care may be restricted enough to cause this problem. try reversing heater hoses. mercedes solved this issue by installing a circulation motor in line to keep water going into the core going at a good clip. as soon as there is any air in the system it will effect the core flow as well as forming an air pocket around the thermostat. the engine cooked a while ago, the impeller on the pump comes to mind. i've seen plastic ones melt without the engine really cooking. you've already made your diagnosis. now he's forcing you to second guess yourself. drag your feet a bit more. spring is coming. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”