2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078? FIXED

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078? FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

i'm thinking ric has hit the nail on the head here. i'll bet lunch (soda and chips) that there is an application issue. i've swapped mitsu mills before and had to reburn pcm. if it were me i would check the vin that came along with the engine for application. i will only purchase major power train parts if the vin is supplied with the unit.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
FRONTLINE
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078?

Post by FRONTLINE »

Ok guys, I have figured out a little more, yay!

The car will start and run with the ckp sensor unplugged but has extended crank; runs and drives fine, the exh. cam position fault goes away and of course I get a crank sensor fault. Replaced the sensor from Infiniti and vehicle fires right up but will not run. I am in the process of double checking all the wires again.

The tag from the salvage does not say if it was from a coupe or sedan. I am just going to use info for an '06 model. Yes, the engine is from a manual car, but the automatic was cheaper, hah! VIN for the actual car - JNKCV54EX5M415682; VIN that came with salvage engine - JNKCV51EX6H505437.

I greatly appreciate all the input from every one so much. I am a young guy and learning so much. THANK YOU.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I do not think you could be in a better place to learn then from the great ( if some what twisted) minds on here.....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

K IM LOST THE SALVAGE ENGINE IS FROM A SEDAN BUT HAVE NOT FOUND THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN COUPE AND SEDAN AS FAR AS ENGINE WIRING. THE CAR RUNS WITH CRANK SENSOR UNPLUGGED BUT WILL NOT WITH IT PLUGGED IN. WHEN IT IS PLUGGED IN THE FAULT I GET IS THE EXH. CAM POS. SENSOR FAULT, BUT WITH CRANK UNPLUGGED ALL I GET IS CRANK SENSOR FAULT. MAYBE A DAMAGED SPLICE IN THE HARNESS? CAN I JUST WIRE IN A NEW POWER WIRE (PINK)? KUZ IT SEEMS THATS ALL THEY HAVE IN COMMON. WHAT AM I MISSING?
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

WHY DOESN'T MITCHEL PUT INFO ON THE CONNECTOR SYMBOLS WHEN IT SHOW THERE IS A CONNECTOR THERE. PINS AND CONNECTOR IDENTIFICATION WOULD PROBLY HELP ME FIX THIS CAR. I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE WIRES GO FOR CONNECTOR E11. THATS THE ONLY CONNECTOR THAT HAS 3 WIRES THAT ARE DIFFERENT BETWEEN 05 AND 06 MODELS. ITS PRETTY MUCH THE CONNECTOR BETWEEN THE ECM AND IPDM,. PINS 8, 5, 4 ARE DIFFERENT COLORS BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT CIRCUITS THEY GO TO SO I COULD POSSIBLY JUST CHANGE THE PINS AROUND SOME WHERE TO MAKE THIS CAR RUN.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I see that you entered this question as a Live Tips post, the main person who moderates that is on vacation this week. Did you ever contact Product Support? They have an extensive library to work with.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

Hate to pop in on this way late in the game.
You said the previous engine ran fine just a rod Knock!
So I'd stick with the wire harness as the problem. You can sign on the Nissan Web site to compare wire harness It dose cost Apx $25 a week. And your Info will be thier. I'm Not sure but he web will give you the Info your looking for.
I'm Doing about 5 Swimmers right now all Asian cars Did three last week and havent run into this with Honda or Mazda yet!

Good Fishing.
Motor Mags Web Site has the Listing of all MFG Web Sites For techs Shops. I belive It's a Babcock Publication.
If they don't know how can they fix it!
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

I SCOPED MY CKP SENSOR AND MY EX. CAM POS. SENSOR AT MY ECM THE READINGS WERE GOOD. BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN MY CKP SENSOR IS PLUGGED IN I LOSE THROTTLE RESPONSE AND MY EXH/V TIM-B1(DEGREES) IS -45 AND B2 IS -42. AND MY INT/V TIM B1 (DEGREES) IS 100 AND B2 IS 94. AT IDLE. BUT WITH CKP SENSOR UNPLUGGED I HAVE AN EXTENDED CRANK BUT IT STARTS AND I HAVE THROTTLE RESPONSE AND MY EXH/V B1 TIMING IS 15 AND B2 IS 29. INT/V B1 TIMING IS 127 ALSO FOR B2, BUT THEY DO NOT CHANGE WHEN REVING ENGINE. I THINK I HAVE A HARNESS ISSUE BUT DO NOT KNOW WHERE YET. IL FIGURE IT OUT SOONER OR LATER.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

before i would tear into the harness i would consider a pcm issue. speaking for myself, and if i were dealing with this as a "drive in" issue i would start there. with he readings you've supplied and the way it's acting if it was towed in with these symptoms what would you think. you back probed, checked continuity between sensors and pcm plug, all you should have done to trace the issue to the pcm. there must be a pcm issue, i can't seem to get any further in the diagnostic flow with what you've supplied. when you lifted the engine out did you stretch the harness or while unraveling it was there any tugging or pulling? was there any chance that the battery wasn't disconnected as a first step? i've seen times where the battery wasn't disconnected and while sensors were being unplugged or plugged in a capacitor surge may have occurred and caused a pcm failure............then again this may just be a situation of a failure while on the operating table. if you've been working on vehicles for as long as i have then i'm sure you know what i'm saying.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I would also add CHECK THE GROUNDS! I have seen more than once a small ground missed during an engine swap.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

NOPE THERE WAS ONLY 3 GROUNDS TO DISCONNECT AND WHEN I REMOVED THE ENGINE I DISCONNECTED IT FROM THE ECM AND JUST LAYED THE CONNECTOR ON TOP. I DROPPED THE WHOLE SUBFRAME, TRANS, AND ENGINE ALL AT THE SAME TIME, IT WAS TO EASY. SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO FIGHT ANY OF THE HARNESS WHEN REMOVING THE ENGINE.
Stewart Levy

Post by Stewart Levy »

Have you checked Balancer from the engine you removed and compared it to the one on the replacement engine. It's been along time since Ive gotten caught by the square signs not being fed to PCM properly It's just like the axles that come from china with the wrong rings and you get the ABS light!

Hope this helps. Stewart 954-763-5506
If they don't know how can they fix it!
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

SO I HAVE BYPASS THE SIGNAL WIRE FROM THE CKP SENSOR TO THE ECM- NO CHANGE. BYPASSED THE SIGNAL WIRE FROM THE EXH. CAM POS. SENSOR AFTER P1078 CAM BACK - NO CHANGE. THEN BYPASSED MY VOLTAGE SUPPLY TO CKP SENSOR AND ALL OTHER SENSORS THAT HAVE THE SAME SUPPLY IN COMMON.-NO CHANGE. THEN BYPASSED THE GROUND FROM THE CKP. SENSOR- NO CHANGE. IM LOST. JUST TO VERIFY MY COMPLAINT THIS IS WHAT IT IS DOING - WITH CKP SENSOR CONNECTED VEHICLE STARTS RITE UP BUT WILL NOT IDLE FOR LONG THEN JUST IDLES DOWN AND DIES, THEN FAULT P1078 SHOWS UP. THEN I CLEAR FAULTS DISCONNECT CKP SENSOR, VEHICLE HAS EXTENDED CRANK UNTIL IT HAS COUNTED THE CAMS ENOUGH THEN SETS DEFAULT AND STARTS AND RUNS AWESOME AND I GET A CKP SENSOR FAULT P0335. THE SAME HAPPENS WITH MY BYPASS INSTALLED I HAVE NO CHANGE AT ALL. I HAVE TRIED TO DO THE IDLE RESET, I COULDN'T TELL YOU HOW MANYS TIMES. I HAVE PUT IN NEW SENSORS. IM GLAD THIS IS NOT A CUSTOMER CAR, IT IS A USED CAR THAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET READY FOR SALE BUT NO LUCK. ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS OR TRICKS TO TRY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

I think Stewart is on to something. Probably a difference in the tone rings. It may be set up to read cam signal only if there is no crank signal. My ol chevy 6.5 diesel is that way. It will run with the crank sensor unplugged, just throws a light. Maybe no signal is better than a corrupted signal.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Can you get the computer from the same vehicle that the engine came from? There IS a difference in cams on this engine from standard to automatic. The strategy and tone rings may be different. Do you have a dual trace scope so you can see the cam/crank sync?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

the strategy is different so the car won't decelerate to fast when it's a standard as to cause the transmission to try to overtake the engine causing a stall issue. do you think a cam swap would be easier than a p.c.m. swap. on issues like these i try to compare part #'s to see what else is different. if the cam covers are the same as well as chain, etc. i would consider a cam swap. my feeling on situations like this one is being creative may cause huge issues in the future. my thinking is that i would go nuts (yes i can go further) if i had the pleasure of working on this car in the future after things have been modified. i feel that the salvage yard should have been aware of this issues and informed you. i've seen first hand the software they use and that information would have been there and a foot note saying a cam swap would work. as much as i would love to get creative, in these situations i fall back on the "if it ain't right it's ain't fixed" hate to say it and i know it's like telling a fish not to swim but i think it's worth thinking about. at this point it may have taken less time to swap it for the correct one. sorry man, i know this isn't what you want to hear but maybe it's what you need......... :(
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

ANY BODY KNOW WHERE THE BEST PLACE TO GET THE SPECIAL TOOLS FOR DISSASSEBLING AND ASSEMBLING THIS ENGINE?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

not exactly these tools but on others i call the dealer and ask them who manufactures their specialty tools. then i go to that manufactures web sight. i also score big on e/bay when i'm looking for a specific factory tool. getting back to the web sight, on occasions i've needed specialty tools and after looking at the tool on the web sight was able to modify a tool i already own to work just fine. one tool was a cam alighnment tool and after seeing what it looked like a piece of angle iron worked just fine. good luck. i've found that some "specialty" tools are required but others are dust collectors. get a good look at what they say you need. a 100 dollar specialty wrench can be made by bending a wrench a little more that it is.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

TURNS OUT IT WAS THE AFTERMARKET FLYWHEEL.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks for coming back with the answer!
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”