TIP: New Customer Report

Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor

TIP: New Customer Report

Post by Gary R »

I am trying to find a report that would list first time customers and how much they spent for a date range. Can someone recommend a report. I can't seem to find one and a "search" came up empty.

Thanks in Advance,
Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: New Customer Report

Post by steven kiser »

i keep a print out file of all my new customers. i'll call them the next day as well as a month later. i use the printed order as a note pad to keep track of any conversations.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You could try Customer List by Customer Number. Then go to the end of the report. The latest customers would naturally have the highest customer number. Now for date range just look at the last in date. You could potentially print any date range you desire. This report also includes what they spent. Not perfect but pretty close?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I'm hearing a combination of three factors in there so likely a job for Export to Excel to accomplish that level of detail.

Within the reports Followup menu there is a New/Inactive tab that allows you to filter on the invoice date to identify who they are.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

never thought of doing it that way ric. good point.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Tim,

Within the reports Followup menu there is a New/Inactive tab that allows you to filter on the invoice date to identify who they are.
I did find the New/Inactive tab and that report gives me almost what I want. If it totaled up the sales numbers it would be perfect. My goal is to be able to track how much sales I am generating from first time customers and additionally how many of those become repeat customers. I am thinking I may need to market better to the first time customer after their first visit. I never thought of exporting to Excel. I have never done that. Can the results of a report be exported for Excel to do the math?

Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

There's two ways to look at Manager data export:

1. it is completely rendered inside Manager in the form of an existing report, then fed AS IS is to a file format to use the data in another form

2. nothing is rendered and the raw fielded values are to be used in Excel formulas (where Excel calculates and builds any totals)
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

I thought I would share with you all what I finally did regarding this issue. After a little digging, I decided to use the invoice source field, which I have never used before. You can create "sources" to propagate that field. My list includes: Drive by, friend, newspaper, internet (Yelp, Google etc) postcard and so on. Since the invoice source attaches itself to just that one invoice, I will use it only on the customer's first visit, which makes the first visit date searchable. Then using the Referral-Inv Sources report, I get a list of first time customers sorted by the "source" with sub totals of what they spent by source as well as a grand total for a date range. My plan will be to save these reports and review them in 6 months to see if these new customers have come in for another visit. If not, they will get an e-mail or postcard (with a discount?) to encourage them to use us again. This is in the planning stage and any input you might have to improve this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

I have a follow up on the above topic. I have been using the source field to identify where first time customer heard about us and have had the following issue. When a new customer comes in and we enter information into the source field, that same information shows up on other open work orders. If the source selected was "friend" then friend will show up on other orders that are open for existing customers. I am able to say that if no new customers came in on a given day, then no other work orders will have the source field filled in. Only when a new customer comes in then the same information shows up on other (but not all) repair orders and/or estimates that are currently on the work in progress screen. Anyone see this before?

Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service

Return to “NEW >>> TIPS - Reports / Printing”