2011 Ford F250 6.7L - Water In Fuel FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2011 Ford F250 6.7L - Water In Fuel FIXED

Post by 92zman »

We have a 2011 diesel 6.7L in here that got water in the tank form some gas station. Have drained the tank new diesel with 911 in it new filters and both pumps but still will not start. It is not getting enough fuel psi not getting over about 1500 when cranking. Have been told then u have to replace the whole system. The truck was bought from a ins company. Has anyone done this before. Been told then it happens all the time with this truck. Any insight will help thanks
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2011 Ford F250 6.7L Water in fuel

Post by steven kiser »

Call insurance company. Injector pump probably trashed out because water offers no lubrication. If engine was at operating temp and cruising along I would suspect holes possibly burned through a few pistons. I wouldn't go any further until insurance company looks at it or customer agrees to pay for anymore work knowing that there may be a chance the insurance company will bounce the claim. Seen it happen. A customer demanded a tear down to see what happened and the insurance company wouldn't look at it because they couldn't tell anything because it was torn down. We all know that they used this as a way to bugger out of it. The customer should be instructed to contact the service station and file a claim with them. His insurance company will really like that and actually help him through the process. On your end remind the adjuster these engines exceed 300 K and it's going to require a complete running engine, oxygen sensors, converters, and if it happens to have (I don't think it does) a dsl cat with dsl injection on it the whole thing needs to be replaced. Do not let them convince you that they can be super cleaned. I've tried before on different trucks and haven't had any luck. Another thing is when water hits hot metal especially Aluminum you can never be sure where it's going to end up.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Re: 2011 Ford F250 6.7L - Water in fuel

Post by 92zman »

This truck was already bought by a ins company. My boss bought it from them. So this is our baby to get fixed. When he told me what had happened to it i said hope then it don't need a motor and he said then he talked to some people and then ford has a kit that u install. Will called ford and they have never herd of a kit for that. So know i am trying to price it together. That is why i am on here to see what all we have to do....
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

So, this truck sucked water a while ago. It went through all the insurance stuff and wound up at the insurance auction. Fastest time possible is 4 to 6 weeks. If it were my truck or in my shop I would bite the bullet and just accept the fact that the water has left a trail of rust behind. You probably have scales in the cylinders, pump and injectors are junk and all that the fuel touches. I would spend my time searching all the trade magazines, auction sights, salvage yards and Craig's list to purchase running totals.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Yea we have had the truck for a few months now and all then we have done is the filters and the pump. We did get a hold of the ford dealer that looked at the truck in the first place. What we found out that i guess then a gas station got water in the tanks and it was not just this truck i guess it was a few of them that had it happen. They told us then they don't think then it got that fare in the system. But i think they now more then they told us. I mean right when u start the tuck it is moving the gas though the whole system. So i know then it got every where. I just done know how bad it has hurt things. Really though then putting the pumps in it would at least let me see better psi but it did not.My next step was to replace the injectors but i guess now maybe i need to check more. Can the water burn up the rings that fast on one of this trucks. Belive it had been drove about one tank. The oil had just been changed and it only has about 800 miles on that. Can i do a compression test to test the motor and what should i see for psi. Should i pain on replacing the sensors on the fuel system while i am doing the injectors at the same time.
steven kiser

Re: 2011 Ford F250 6.7L - Water In Fuel

Post by steven kiser »

Water ran through it. Truck sat long enough to go through the auction process. Diesel fuel is a lubricant as well as a fuel. Water has zero lubrication values. Water causes rust. Water will steam when it hits hot engine parts and in some cases crack the metal. The steam will hydraulic a cylinder possibly bending valves. Now having pointed these things out I'll answer your questions. Yes, you can do a compression test on the truck if you have the proper adapter. Replacing the lift pumps in the tank means only getting fuel to the high pressure pump. That's where is all happens. You need a certain amount of oil pressure from the engine to ramp up the injector pump. There are two main sensors that have a control over that. A cup of water will do as much damage as a gallon. The Ford dealership probably won't tell you much because if you get it running and the previous owner finds out having probably gotten a good screwing from the insurance company may decide to raise heck. My rule of thumb is when a diesel is towed in after gas is pumped into tank and it died on highway is to drain and purge system, try to fire it up and see what happens. If it's towed in because of water contamination I have it moved to the dead lot and contact customer and insurance company. The chances of the diesel being able to be repaired is so low adding in future issues they are always totaled. If I purchased one from an insurance auction to flip I would look for another total with a good powertrain and swap. If I were going to use it as mine I would be a bit more choosey but would take the same route. I work on enough of these to know if I were to tear into a water total I might as well just start to kick my own a**.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Ok i see what u are saying. We did put the high pressure pump in it with the new pump under truck. But still can not get enough pressure to get it to start.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

The injectors will seize up. Before you jump into that when you say high pressure pump you mean the one inside the engine lifter valley or a primary lift pump inline prior to the engine. The pumps before the engine just deliver fuel and the high pressure pump kicks it up over 1000 psi feeding the injectors. If you in fact did replace the high pressure pump then maybe you should consider a set of injectors. They do plug up easily.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Yes i did replace the high psi pump in the valley. The injectors is where i was going but seen then there are a few sensors on there and have been told to replace the rails too...
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Anything to do with the fuel distribution system should be either replaced or fully cleaned. Water will leave behind all sorts of things that will screw things up and clog injector screens.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Ok thank u for your info. Going to try to get the truck back in next week and put in some injectors and just going to replace the sensors and try and see if i can clean the rail out. Then we will see what happens. But again thank u for the help.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Remember, any contamination hits the new injectors and they're junk.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

So went though and replaced the injectors and fuel rails and sensors and flushed out all the line again. Truck is running great. Thank u guys for all the input.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting the fix

Return to “Ford Trucks”