2009 Mazda 6 TPMS

Specific repair issues for other imported vehicles
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

2009 Mazda 6 TPMS

Post by ricmorin »

Anyone have any tips for relearning the TPMS on a 2009 Mazda 6? I have one here that won't relearn. The procedure I have is...

Inflate tires.
Turn key on then off.
Wait 15 minutes.
Drive for 10 minutes.

This does not work.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Mazda 6 TPMS

Post by Rich »

After adjusting the tire air pressures, it may require some time for the TPMS warning light to go out. If the TPMS warning light remains illuminated, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 16 mph (25 km/h) for 10 minutes, and then verify that the light goes out.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yup, did that at least a half dozen times. No dice.
603-622-6434 x203

Rich

Post by Rich »

Try 160mph for 1 minute! :wink:
Rich Hays
Rich

Post by Rich »

Found this on line

2005-2016 Mazda 6 Tire Pressure TPMS Initialization Method:

To reset / turning off the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light on your 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Mazda 6, follow these steps:

Stop the vehicle in a safe place and turn the engine switch off and engage the parking brake.
Let the tires cool, then adjust the tire inflation pressure recommended on the tire placard located on the door panel.
Turn the engine switch to the “ON” position
Locate and press the tire pressure warning reset button until the tire pressure warning light blinks 2 times and a beep sound is heard once.

Wait for a few minutes with the engine switch in the “ON” position
Finally turn the engine switch to the “ACC” or “LOCK” position.
Rich Hays
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Thanks Rich. I saw that link, too. Unfortunately, this vehicle is not equipped with a reset button.
603-622-6434 x203

sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:Anyone have any tips for relearning the TPMS on a 2009 Mazda 6? I have one here that won't relearn. The procedure I have is...

Inflate tires.
Turn key on then off.
Wait 15 minutes.
Drive for 10 minutes.

This does not work.
Same procedure our TPMS tool calls for. Could you have a defective new sensor?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

It's possible. The tool reads all the existing sensors just fine. Battery normal. Pressure is correct as is temperature.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

A match and fuel!
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I fixed this car. I'll fill you in as soon as I get my backlog work done.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

So here's the story and some lessons learned.

As reported earlier, subject car is a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport. Vehicle came in with TPMS light on. No further details.

Tire pressures were set and a relearn was attempted. It was discovered that the relearn procedure is automatic, so I read the sensors with my tool. All the sensors were very slow to respond except the RF. Slow response usually means a weak sensor. I initiated and performed a relearn but the light stayed on.

I checked for codes in the TPMS module and got a C2014 for wheel unit 4 communication. Mazda does not locate the sensors, but rather designates them by wheel unit. To identify which wheel is unit 4, Mazda says to set the pressures of the wheels at specific levels, drive the car and match the wheel units with the corresponding level. I did this and wheel unit 4 matched the LF sensor.

Knowing that there were 2 more sensors testing weakly, we sold 3 sensors. We used Dorman direct fit sensors on 3 corners, all except RF. Another relearn and now I had codes not only for wheel unit 4, but now for all the sensors.

I scanned the hex id's of the sensors and compared them to what the TPMS module had. They did not match. I was beginning to think I may have incorrectly identified wheel unit 4 as the LF, and it was actually the RF. I found paperwork in the car from the dealer who replaced the RF sensor back in May. This was, in my mind, the least likely sensor to have failed. Despite this, I replaced the RF sensor and I was able to relearn the sensors.

Lesson number 1: Do not use the pressure method Mazda states to identify wheel units. Scan the hex id's and match them with scanner data. I feel this to be much more reliable.

Lesson number 2: Mazda will not learn new sensors at all if just one sensor is not right. So conceivably if you replace 4 sensors and one is defective, you'll get failure codes for all 4 and you won't know which one is defective.

Lesson number 3: Even if a Mazda sensor can be read, it could still be defective.

Lesson number 4: Mazda's suck.

That was a lot of effort for a simple TPMS light. I hope this helps someone in the future. I'd hate to think I got my butt handed to me for nothing.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Re: 2009 Mazda 6 TPMS

Post by steven kiser »

Awwww, they don't suck, they blow. I think all the Japanese manufacturers got together and formed a company that utilizes all the left over parts that were kicking around and exports the assembled product around the world. The manufacturers used a word from a long dead language that meant "Large Pile Of Monkey Crap" that's correct the word is Mazda.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Re: 2009 Mazda 6 TPMS

Post by steven kiser »

It's just not the Mazda's that really are a pain. Sensors went from just a basic low tire pressure warning system to in some cases a deeply rooted operational system. Todays repair shops and Techs need information on TPM'S equal to or better than many other operational systems. It seems that a few years ago (in a techs life ratio, I'll use the dog to human year formula since todays changes are screaming along at break neck speeds while years ago when I stumbled into this line of work not a thing except emblems or head lamp configuration changed for three years minimum) the system let you know when a tire was low. Then it went to tire location and the next step was to inform you that the Smith kid next door was peeing on it arriving home at 4:40 A.M. every Saturday. A two second response time meant low battery causing the allowed time margin balance to be off and throw a code. Many of todays systems (I think) will not reset after a hard code is set so the light remains on. We scan it and locate the weak sensor (doing a deflate, inflate test making sure the location is correct because as we all know many shops don't have the proper tool to set location after a rotation causing us to look at the incorrect tire) replace and program it. Customer returns a week or so later with the light on again and now the replaced sensor is acting like new (as it should) and the other three sensors are weak but would self test properly because of power equality now show the new sensor the issue in the other direction leaving the only resolution to be replacing the other three. When a low tire issue is noted on the work order as a customer complaint it's shop policy to read into the operational system of the vehicle to see what monitoring system effects along with any recalls and TSB's. If it's a % balance issue and all sensors are of equal age I'll quote all four needing replacement. Again this is personal preference since I've been owned a few times. I have no problem using good aftermarket sensors I program as replacements on many vehicles. However I'll draw the line if a sensor goes beyond that stage using OEM. An example would be sensors in Caddy's, Beemers and Benzes. I've run the gauntlet on these and will only use original. I had to get beyond the thought of the monitoring system being check tire pressure and call it a day. If the batteries are low and the tires are original age alone dictates replacement, putting air in the same tire over and over again (another reason no vehicle gets even looked at without an order being written) I'll know it and suggest taking it off to repair it. I'll get to look at the brakes, front end, tire wear and a few other things and who knows maybe sell something instead of hearing about the spouse taking the car to the dealer or tire super store and it needing thousands of dollars in repairs. If that isn't insulting enough getting told I should have seen it and it was a danger to be driving. A pain yes but if looked at as a check engine light diagnostic then there is money in them there sensors. I'll leave after this. I will tell customers right off the bat that when they are watching about this on Google make sure the "tech" is in a shop not a garage, doesn't have two "good" hunting dogs with him, floor doesn't have hunting dog poop and empty beer cans on it, his name isn't Bubba and is wearing a belt buckle bigger than his head, trophies scattered about aren't for noodling or skeet shooting while driving a 4 wheeler in the bog at the swamp people rally. As a rule when something of quality is typed in Google seems to send you someone that has just returned from digging up that glowing this that fell from the sky. I toss all these cards on the table because when a customer wants to save a buck the sitcom Green Acres suddenly becomes an instructional film about how to farm. Sad but true so use it before they watch it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Imports - Other”