Digital Inspection Branding - XOXO Car vs Your Shop

Mobile Manager Pro (tablets)

What do you think of the new inspection layout and the XOXO Car branding?

I'm happy with the updated layout and the XOXO Car branding is fine with me.
No votes
I like the new layout but would prefer to see my brand/logo at the top.
74%
I liked the older inspection layout better.
26%

Total votes: 19
Gerald Martin
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Digital Inspection Branding - XOXO Car vs Your Shop

Post by Gerald Martin »

Today Bolt-On Technology introduced a new digital inspection format. I am interested in hearing what other shop owners are thinking of this, therefore the poll.

The way I see it, the overall design of the inspection is good - the filmstrip view is great - the swipe to advance to next picture is great too. In many ways the new layout is more modern and user friendly, and I think overall it's good. Even great. However, I'm quite disappointed by the branding decision.

From my point of view, if I am paying for the software to generate digital inspections, it needs to put my company identity out there front and center. This is how it was with the prior format. On the new format, the main brand identity is "XOXO Car" and the shop logo is relegated to the footer. If other shops in my market use this, their inspections will look virtually the same as mine.

Bolt-On is primarily serving the automotive aftermarket. Their secret to success lies in facilitating the success and brand identity of the shops they serve, not in promoting XOXO Car. The repair shop's logo and identity should be the header. If they want to put "powered by xoxocar" or something like that in the fly-out menu, fine.

Bolt-On, we've come a long way together. I hope you are listening. Let's talk.

Gerald Martin
Martins Auto Service
618-833-2528
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Digital Inspection Branding - XOXO Car vs Your Shop

Post by ricmorin »

Wow.

I was not aware of this HUGE change. Completely blindsided today. I wish Bolt-On solicited some shop input on this. The forum would have been a great place to do that.

My presence on the inspection is dwarfed by the XOXO logo. I don't think my customers would even recognize that it's me. This should be MY brand, not XOXO. The overall look is improved, but we lost the ability to sort by red first, yellow second and so on. The branding issue completely erases any other improvements IMO.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I like the older layout better myself but could get used to this. I am with everyone else. The branding is BAD. I am not happy about this at ALL. To be honest it feels like a slap in the face. I think I will be making a call today to voice my opinion to Bolt On directly. I had to come back to edit this to add: They got rid of the health meter. A lot of my cutomers really liked that and would get concerned and want to do what was needed to move the needle into the green. I would like that back also.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Pauls Automotive wrote:I like the older layout better myself but could get used to this. I am with everyone else. The branding is BAD. I am not happy about this at ALL. To be honest it feels like a slap in the face. I think I will be making a call today to voice my opinion to Bolt On directly. I had to come back to edit this to add: They got rid of the health meter. A lot of my cutomers really liked that and would get concerned and want to do what was needed to move the needle into the green. I would like that back also.
FYI, the vehicle health meter IS still there. It's on the first 'page' before you click on 'view inspection' button.
603-622-6434 x203

Pauls Automotive

Thanks Ric, I was viewing it from my browswer. It does show up on my phone though. I still prefer the old set up. I think it is easier to read from the customer point of view. But that is just me.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Pauls Automotive wrote:Thanks Ric, I was viewing it from my browswer. It does show up on my phone though. I still prefer the old set up. I think it is easier to read from the customer point of view. But that is just me.
Agreed. I'm not too keen on the multiple 'page' thing via the phone. I like to keep things simple. Click a link once and have what you need, not click a link, then click another. The old setup was better in that regard.
603-622-6434 x203

Auto Repair Coach
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

Just to let you know, I am monitoring and sharing all that you folks put on this forum.
Thanks for making your thoughts known.
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
Pauls Automotive

ricmorin wrote:
Pauls Automotive wrote:Thanks Ric, I was viewing it from my browswer. It does show up on my phone though. I still prefer the old set up. I think it is easier to read from the customer point of view. But that is just me.
Agreed. I'm not too keen on the multiple 'page' thing via the phone. I like to keep things simple. Click a link once and have what you need, not click a link, then click another. The old setup was better in that regard.

Agreed.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

JB, since you're watching this thread please pass this on to your people. On this link http://lp.boltontechnology.com/xoxocar you've spelled receive incorrectly. It's i before e except after c.
i before e except after c
i before e except after c
spellitforme.png (84.47 KiB) Viewed 36981 times
603-622-6434 x203

Gerald Martin

Post by Gerald Martin »

Attention Bolt-On:

Here is a solution I could live with:

1. Take the XOXO car branding off the front page. If you need it anywhere, put it in the flyout menu where the contact shop button is. My true preference be for Bolt-On to use another more generic branding approach - IE: "myrepairshop.com" I work for enough country folk that drive 4x4 trucks and jeeps with lift kits. XOXO car does not fit this clientele.
2. When taking the XOXO shop brand away from the top - put shop logo there. Better yet, allow shop to supply the artwork for a defined pixel size of header - 300x120 pixels, etc so it looks good up there.
3. Get rid of the bar at the bottom where the shop logo currently is. That's consuming valuable screen real estate phones, etc, that should be showing the main body of the report.
4. Keep the "health monitor" at the top at all times. Make the little indicator on it black or some other color that shows up. The white triangle there blends with the outline of the bar.
5. Move the button with "Contact Shop" out to the main page. Put it just below where it says "Digital Inspection" Make it Green - Green means GO.

How does that sound to the rest of you? Trying to keep this productive and in search of a solution that works for all.

Gerald
Pauls Automotive

Gerald Martin wrote:Attention Bolt-On:

Here is a solution I could live with:

1. Take the XOXO car branding off the front page. If you need it anywhere, put it in the flyout menu where the contact shop button is. My true preference be for Bolt-On to use another more generic branding approach - IE: "myrepairshop.com" I work for enough country folk that drive 4x4 trucks and jeeps with lift kits. XOXO car does not fit this clientele.
2. When taking the XOXO shop brand away from the top - put shop logo there. Better yet, allow shop to supply the artwork for a defined pixel size of header - 300x120 pixels, etc so it looks good up there.
3. Get rid of the bar at the bottom where the shop logo currently is. That's consuming valuable screen real estate phones, etc, that should be showing the main body of the report.
4. Keep the "health monitor" at the top at all times. Make the little indicator on it black or some other color that shows up. The white triangle there blends with the outline of the bar.
5. Move the button with "Contact Shop" out to the main page. Put it just below where it says "Digital Inspection" Make it Green - Green means GO.

How does that sound to the rest of you? Trying to keep this productive and in search of a solution that works for all.

Gerald
It is hard to picture all this but it seems good from what I can tell.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Couldn't have said it better myself. Gerald, you have a sharp eye for marketing. :D
603-622-6434 x203

Gerald Martin

Post by Gerald Martin »

I'm hoping that more shop owners will add their vote and comments to this thread. Your viewpoint is welcome.
Pauls Automotive

I called and talked to them and expressed my view. Also told them there are a few people not pleased with the changes and let them know there is a thread started about it. Hopefully they will listen. The one thing they did say was a partial part of the switch is the new platform is going to give use new capabilities such as appointment via the new platorm among other things. So who knows.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
Gerald Martin

Post by Gerald Martin »

There's something else that Bolt-On really should clarify: I received this email on February 13th:

Hello Mobile Manager Users,

As one of the top Mobile Manager users, you have been chosen to preview our new Digital Inspection layout.

How to see the new layout:
1. Open any one of your inspections in your web browser
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page
3. Click the ® symbol
a.
4. You will then be redirected to the preview

We look forward to your feedback!

One day later, they released the changes to the Digital Inspections. How could you expect to integrate user feedback into a product launch one day later?

Gerald
Auto Repair Coach

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was on the road and some other personal issues came up.

OXOXCar is designed to build a brand that we will support and make popular driving customers to your shops for digital inspections and service. We have been asked to build a driver facing program to build awareness of the digital inspections and services that your shop offers.

We have heard about the shop's brand being lost in the overall presentation and that will be addressed.

Take time and explore the new version of the inspection and you will see a number of improvements on the customer side.

(The following is my opinion.) I am not happy about how this came about and agree with some of your input. I am making it clear what my position is on this. I do apologize for how it has been handled. (JB opinion over.)
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
Gerald Martin

Post by Gerald Martin »

John: Thanks for the response. I hope that the branding issue can be addressed rapidly. I'm not confortable sending my clients the current inspection links. All of us on this thread and many more make a significant monthly investment with Bolt-On. Each independent shop wants to promote and grow their own brand, not XOXO Car.

I don't know what Bolt-On's road map is from here - whether eventually this platform will support more features like service history, etc. I would not want to point my clients to a website like XOXOcar.com. That does not represent our brand or image. XOXO Car may be cute for a teenage girl. But it does not support the professional image of our company, nor does it fit with our broad and diverse client base.

Gerald Martin
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have no desire to be aligned with ANY brand but my own. The old inspections were just fine. A small 'powered by' feature is fine. I don't need nor want a brand to represent me other than my own. Please fix this.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Take time and explore the new version of the inspection and you will see a number of improvements on the customer side.
We LOST the ability to print the inspection, but that was recently restored, however the print no longer includes the pictures. Please restore inspections back to the way they were. Please. They weren't broken. We do hundreds of inspections a month for a customer and we need that feature back.
603-622-6434 x203

Pauls Automotive

ricmorin wrote:
We LOST the ability to print the inspection, but that was recently restored, however the print no longer includes the pictures. Please restore inspections back to the way they were. Please. They weren't broken. We do hundreds of inspections a month for a customer and we need that feature back.

I second this!!!
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com

Return to “Mobile Manager”