A Tale of 4 Backups

Mobile Manager Pro (tablets)
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

A Tale of 4 Backups

Post by ricmorin »

Those of you that know me realize I don't like taking chances, especially when it comes to backing up Manager. Originally we backed up to a thumb drive back in the pre-SE days. Then we added an on-site automated backup. Mitchell added DPR years ago that also sent a backup once a night to them, another off-site backup. More recently, M1 added a much better backup. This one backs up live with nearly every keystroke, almost eliminating ANY lost data.

Naturally, when my host died recently I chose to use the most recent backup (MSEC). I would lose NO data, or so I thought.

For those of you that are using Mobile Manager and other Bolt-On products, you DO NOT want to restore your database from the MSEC backup. I discovered that many critical Bolt On files contained in the Manager database are NOT backed up using MSEC. If you do restore, you will lose linking to all your pictures, inspections and other data living in the cloud created before the restore.

It is my hope that Bolt On steps up and provides us with a solution to this dilemma. The MSEC backup developed by M1 is too good to be thrown away by every Bolt-On user because it wasn't designed to address this external shortcoming.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
nik77356

Re: A Tale of 4 Backups

Post by nik77356 »

Yes, this is a HUGE shortcoming, and along with the other concerns we have had recently (namely the XOXOCar branding), we are looking more and more into other Digital Inspection offerings.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You bet it is! And NO RESPONSE from Bolt-On on how they are going to fix this?
603-622-6434 x203

rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by rhillig »

I haven't been able to get Mitchell's backup to work consistently and am using a cloud back up. What files/folders should I be backing up in order to make sure I have everything to include the bolt-on items?

Thanks!
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

rhillig wrote:I haven't been able to get Mitchell's backup to work consistently and am using a cloud back up. What files/folders should I be backing up in order to make sure I have everything to include the bolt-on items?

Thanks!
They have 2 backups. DPR happens once a night and does include the Bolt-On files. MSEC happens continuously on the fly and does not. Both systems are programmed to pick the correct files so you have no input on that. DPR may eventually be phased out at some point to leave only MSEC.

I would urge anyone to have multiple strategies; unfortunately I unknowingly picked the one strategy that did not include the Bolt On files when I restored and I called Bolt On and it took several days for them to figure it out. Too many days had passed to comfortably restore (again) using one of my other three methods.

In regards to Bolt-On, if you are backing up the Manager database conventionally (not with MSEC) you will have the Bolt-On files.
603-622-6434 x203

motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by motley06 »

DPR is automatic in the background, correct? Is there any chance we can get the file names/locations so we can set those folders to cloud back up? I think I can set up our security software to cloud back multiple times throughout the day
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

motley06 wrote:DPR is automatic in the background, correct? Is there any chance we can get the file names/locations so we can set those folders to cloud back up? I think I can set up our security software to cloud back multiple times throughout the day
Sure!

With the advent of SQL, there is only one file for the Manager database. That file is called ShopMgt. Typically it is found at C>Program Files (x86)>M1-SK>Teamworks>Manager>Data.

DPR is automatic and happens once a day at a time chosen during setup.

Be aware that some programs cannot back up files when users are logged in; the more sophisticated ones can.
603-622-6434 x203

Auto Repair Coach
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

We have been working on a solution to this concern. We have a manual process in place that requires a shop to have a local back up of their files.

Because Mitchell back ups are also part of this and integral to our process, we have been in touch and working things out with them. Mitchell has been informed that whenever a customer calls in with this issue to send them directly to us first. So we can recover all data up to that back up.

The solution is mostly done but must be tested and proven before let loose.

A email was sent out previously alerting shops to the necessity of a complete local back up in (Following good back up practices.) case of computer failure, new computer, and whatever other situation may arise and need this process.

Thanks for your patience.
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/

Return to “Mobile Manager”